Friday, June 01, 2007

And It Was Good

I had so many adventures today!

I went to Food Net and walked to four garage sales after that, where I bought three picture frames for a quarter each, and a cute little stove-top tea pot for a dime. It threatened rain the whole time, but never actually did anything about it.

Then I rode the bus for the first time. I got on at the wrong stop, so wound up going the wrong direction--toward downtown instead of Target. I could have stayed on for a while and made it back to Target eventually, but instead I got off at Open Harvest (the natural foods co-op). I grocery shopped, had some tea and Kombucha at the coffee shop next door, and walked to Angela's house. Then we walked back toward the bus stop and I stopped at a Food Net I'd never been to before.

"How many people do you usually get? How long does it take?" I asked the man. He was very vague. "Well," I said, "I only have 15 minutes until my bus, and it's the last one of the night."

So the nice man let me go first. And then a video crew videotaped me going through line for the evening news. And then they interviewed me, and asked me what Food Net means to me, and if I feel like it's family. I told them that it means everything, because otherwise I wouldn't be able to afford groceries, and yes, although it was my first time at that site, my normal Food Net does feel a bit like community. So I was on TV. But I don't know what channel.

Then I rode the bus home and went to campmeeting. The speaker made me feel a little bit like he was saying I was a heathen (because I'm not so much conventional with my Adventism anymore, and some would say that that's putting it loosely). But it was okay. Jesus kept telling me "It's okay, you're doing what I'm telling you to do. Have peace."

Tomorrow I'm riding the bus downtown to the Farmer's Market to meet Angela, and we're going to the used book store while we're there too. I'm excited like whoa. And I'm mostly excited about learning to ride the bus, and discovering a new Food Net, and being independent and taking care of myself and having a beautiful apartment.

Life is good.

4 comments:

Gina said...

Go Katie!!!! Yayyy!!!

Kristina said...

You're so cool!

Nikki said...

You're officially famous now! ;)
hehehe. are you coming home(pa home) this summer at all? curiousity killed the cat.

phil said...

Three cheers:

one for progressive adventism,
two for yard sales, and
three for public transportation.

After writing that, it looks like I cheered five times. Oh well, so be it.