Thursday, September 18, 2008

you can't see me

Tonight I realized that when I ride home from work at 11 p.m., I am invisible. I didn't know. I've been riding in the dark all summer with my LED headlight and flashing red tail light, thinking cars could see me.

But tonight on my way home I crossed an abandoned intersection and came this close to colliding full-speed with another cyclist. I didn't see him. He didn't see me. We both slammed on our brakes and swerved to avoid each other. I did notice--as I swore out loud and called "Sorry!"--that he had the exact same LED headlight that I do, only his was set on flashing mode.

And a point goes to the notion of buying a car...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

keep your light on, katie carlson. it's pretty for us walking on the street.

Anonymous said...

Katie, why not get a job where you can afford a car?