bread-baking fail
Last night I surprised Israel with a bread-baking lesson.I thought it would be a good surprise, because he's been wanting to learn to bake bread, and because living sustainably is important to him. But he thought that my surprise would be his friend Tracie coming to visit. Bread is not as funny as Tracie. So the bread-baking energies were off a little to begin with.
When we added the yeast to the warm water, it didn't bubble like it should. My yeast was probably a year or so old; I don't know how much that matters. I was suspicious from the beginning that the little yeasties weren't doing their job. (Plus, my oven truly sucks, so I knew we'd be crippled.)
While we kneaded, we watched a TED Talk with Peter Reinhart about the art of bread baking. (That's what Israel is looking so enthralled about.)
The dough didn't rise. Damn. We decided that it didn't hurt anything to bake it anyway, and we'd just eat really dense, brick-like bread.
But we didn't count on it being so dense and brick-like that it wouldn't even bake all the way through. The loaves are small and heavy. Like holding a baby. And they are definitely not anything you want to eat.
I'm going to try again and see if I can't get things working more smoothly before we have another bread lesson. Next time I'll just have Tracie come for a visit. I'm sure that would turn out much better.



2 comments:
If the yeast doesn't bubble try adding more yeast. Or try starting over again with slightly warmer water. If neither of those works, your yeast is probably toast.
Where do you store your yeast? I buy it in bulk and keep it in the freezer for months and months.
awww haha I just read this post! (can you tell I'm behind on my blog reading...?)
I'd love to come visit (israel, if you're reading this...I'm just kidding. I'm never coming to visit. ever)
hopefully i can make it happen SOON, and we can eat really bad bread together!
Post a Comment