Friday, January 22, 2010

Darwin on Marriage

When at 29 Charles Darwin thought about marrying, he took a piece of paper and wrote 'This is the question.'

Under 'Not Marry' he jotted down:

'Freedom to go where one liked--choice of society and little of it. Conversation of clever men at clubs. Not forced to visit relatives and to bend in every trifle--to have the expense and anxiety of children--perhaps quarrelling--loss of time... How should I manage all my business if I were obliged to go every day walking with my wife. Eheu! I never should never know French, or see the Continent, or go to America, or go up in a Balloon.'

Under 'Marry' he noted:

Children (if it please God), constant companion (and friend in old age) who will feel interested in one.' He weighed all the points for and against and made up his mind. 'My God it is intolerable to think of spending one's whole life, like a neuter bee, working, working, and nothing after all. No, no, won't do. Imagine having all one's day solitarily in smoky dirty London house. Only picture to yourself a nice soft wife on a sofa with good fire, and books and music perhaps...Marry--Marry--Marry.

This is a quote from the book "Darwin, His Daughter, and Human Evolution" by Randal Keynes, Darwin's great-great-grandson. I find it interesting because we always think of Darwin as such a scientist--a naturalist, a biologist. Turns out he was not only human, he was a humanist--he chose to marry due to his study of what humanity is and our desires. He chose a "nice soft wife on a sofa with good fire, and books and music" over "freedom to go where one liked" and "conversation with clever men in clubs."

I like discovering the humanity of people we know by reputation only. They were (and some might argue, are) as real as you and I.

2 comments:

Hannah said...

Interesting. I love that you posted it.

Daniel said...

There's a film coming out with Paul Bettany and Jennifer Connelly as Mr. and Mrs. Darwin.

subsemat