Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Big Deal and Schushlick


Tomorrow is officially a BIG DEAL around here. I dunno how much I've said on this BIG DEAL so far, but I'll fill y'all in a bit anyway. Tomorrow the second leg of the Triple Crown of Cycling/Pro Cycling Tour takes place in Reading. That's the closest city to my house. Spokes Bike Shop, the bike store where I work, is a major sponsor of the race. Actually, there are three races: a 35 mile categories 1 and 2 semi-pro men's race, a 25 mile women's elite pro race, and the actual triple crown men's 75-miler. Yup, sure 'nuff, BIG DEAL. Since I work for Spokes, I get a lot of cool stuff out of the gig, like getting paid to spend the day downtown at the start/finish in a cool Spokes tent, and free race t-shirts, and meeting racers and other pro cyclists. I'm holding out for some free Cannondale socks too. We'll see. I'll let you know how it goes.

On another note, yes, we do have internet back as of this evening. What with my work schedule, however, I don't think I'll be on it much; then, since I leave for camp on Sunday, I'll be pretty much a lurker for the rest of the summer. I've gotten so used to not being online much that I don't think I'll even miss it.

Still lovin' the job. I placed a big Trek order for myself yesterday--yay for shorts, gloves, a computer (for my bike--tracks mileage, etc.), a bike pump, and a trainer for right around a hundred bucks! (Yeah, Kim, that's right, I got a trainer for about $80!!!)

I found a new favorite word. It's schushlick and it's Dutchy (Pennsylvania Dutch) for crazy or absentminded... well really it's not quite definable in English, but it's super-descriptive. I'd forgotten how good it is to be home among all the local Berks county folk who barely speak English sometimes. My accent has come back like crazy. I used to hate it but now that I'm gone most of the time, it's good to remember what's unique about home. I no longer ask questions with that question-y inflection to my voice. Anyone who's been to Berks county, PA, knows what I'm talking about.

Oh, one more cool thing! I sold two bikes all by myself on Sunday! One kids bike and one Fuji Ace, which is a low-end guy's road bike. The cool thing is that, provided the guy comes to pick it up from layaway, I get a spiff (selling bonus) for the Fuji!

1 comment:

Kim said...

You got ALL that for about $100?!?! Oh I am SSSOOOO jealous.

Hope you had lots of fun today.