The Vegan Cupcake Lady
I recently stumbled upon a new dream. Well, I've had several new ideas/goals/dreams lately, but this one is the most practical and current. I'm going to become the Vegan Cupcake Lady.
A little book called Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World caught my eye at the new Indigo Bridge bookstore in the Haymarket. The idea of making vegan cupcakes--of being known for making irresistable (and beautiful) vegan cupcakes--intrigued me. I thought it over for a few days, but wound up breaking my habit of only buying used things and brought it home. I've been churning out a couple of batches of yummy vegan treats a week ever since.
So far my business plan is pretty sketchy. I want to practice and test the cupcakes out on people through the winter before I try selling any. Eventually I'd like to sell them at local businesses--coffee shops like the Mill and Jones or even at places like Indigo Bridge and Bread&Cup. Long term, I have whimsical dreams of living in a caboose and selling my delectable vegan creations at farmers' markets and in my own coffee shop.
I've tested quite a few varieties of 'cakes now. Here's the list:
- Earl Grey Cupcakes (just a faint hint of earl grey tea flavor from real tea steeped in hot soy milk)
- Chocolate Stout Cupcakes (made with Guinness, and topped with chocolate crumblies)
- Peanut Butter Cupcakes
- Mexican Hot Chocolate Cupcakes (with lots of cayenne for kick and flax and almond meal for a grainy texture like real Mexican hot chocolate)
- Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cupcakes with cinnamon icing, piped on in crazy-Jackson-Pollock-style
- Mucho Margarita Cupcakes, with lots of fresh lime and a kick of Jose Cuervo, and yummy barely-green margarita-flavored icing. A little salt on the "rim" of these really made them interesting!
Even Kevin, my boss and the owner of B&C, who is the biggest foodie I know, gave the pumpkin chocolate chip cupcake I gave him a hearty, "Good. They're good."
You'd never know they're vegan! If you're in the Lincoln area, let me know a little ahead and stop by my place for a taste of vegan yumminess.



4 comments:
ooo...I wish we were there to try some of your vegan treats! They look delicious. I'm glad you're doing so well.
I think I'm going to have to beg Mat to fire up the oven. I haven't eaten something baked in a long time. Maybe it won't be til next week. He's sick right now. :(
"Long term, I have whimsical dreams of living in a caboose and selling my delectable vegan creations at farmers' markets and in my own coffee shop."
this made my day. thank you
who are you, anonymous? i want to know who shares my whimsy. ;)
Those look yummy.
As far as the caboose thing. Check out the blog, shedworking. They have all kinds of interesting ideas for office/living space. I like to go there and dream.
I laid out in the field over the weekend listening to the wind in the trees, feeling the sun on my face, and watching the big poofy clouds float by in the blue sky.
I need a cabin by the woods.
Post a Comment