A Solstice Gift for You

As a beautiful gift to the universe, and indeed to you and me, on the longest day of the year, No One Conquered, Wyoming's album Vega was released today (June 21st) through Gandhara Recordings.
I am proud of this accomplishment even though I had absolutely nothing to do with it. I have been listening to these songs being written and performed and recorded for over a year now and I love them, even the ones I've heard hundreds of times (seriously--check my last.fm page). I have fallen to sleep to them in person, on mp3, and over the phone. The self-released version of Vega has a permanent home in my car. The imagery and poetry on the album has literally stopped me in my tracks, and sometimes, innumerable listens later, it still does. I love this album, and I am excited to see it receive the dedicated attention of the craftsmen at Gandhara.
(Oh, and--for the sake of full disclosure--I have a huge crush on the guy behind Vega and No One Conquered. What can I say? I've always had a thing for musicians. And facial hair.)
Gandhara Recordings is the kind of thing I can get behind, and I'm anxious for their label to really take off. Gandhara operates like a non-profit; all their workers are volunteers who are passionate about their jobs, and any profits exceeding the costs of producing the CDs and packaging go back to the [starving] artist. Also, Gandhara uses only sustainable or recycled materials in their packaging, and releases limited editions packaged with hand-made album art.
It is very important that this record sells 100 copies in order to have a larger-scale second printing. But that isn't the main reason I am making the following offer. I am making it as a gift to you.
I am feeling generous today, on the longest day of the year. I have filled my day with creating packages and gifts and letters to give to people, and now I want to give one to you. I hope that you will support Gandhara Recordings, a great young label, by going to their site, checking out their artists, and buying albums. And I especially hope that you will click here and purchase Vega; your CD will be shipped to you, but you will also be e-mailed a link to immediately download the mp3s of the album. You, too, can fall asleep listening to No One Conquered, Wyoming tonight.
But if for any reason you are unwilling or unable to go immediately to this site and purchase the new release of Vega, I offer you this:
If you don't have $10 plus shipping for the album, or if you are unconvinced as to its quality and worth, I will buy you one. I will purchase the album online and have it shipped directly to you. E-mail me at carlykatleson@gmail.com or leave a comment with your name and address and the reason you can't or choose not to purchase the album yourself, and I will work with you. I'll probably ask you to barter for the album in some way--write me a story, sing me a song, bake me some cookies, or come help me move across town in three weeks. But you will have Vega, and without paying a penny for it. (If, however, I get so many e-mails that I'm depleting my life savings and risking life on the streets, I reserve the right to politely decline further requests.)
The universe, Wagner Israel Cilio III, Gandhara Recordings, and I are all giving you the opportunity to receive a great solstice gift today. Leave a comment if you ordered the album or want me to get it for you, and put your own (most likely less-biased) review in the comments as well.
Happy Solstice, and happy listening!



1 comment:
hah katie you are funny. I bought the CD! I'm just waiting for it to get to my door step!
Post a Comment