I went to the most beautiful wedding last weekend. Now, I'm not really one of those girls who has planned her wedding forever. I'm a romantic, but a little less of the Cindarella type. I've never gone to a wedding and come away wanting to get married desperately, or thinking that that is exactly what I want my wedding to look like.
But Lance and Sophie's wedding... It was perfect. It was small, outdoors, casual, personal. Perfect, really, is the only word for it. Just when I'd figured out how to be completely happy with my single state, with no desire to be otherwise in the remotely near future, they had to go and make a sap out of me. Since then, hearing "Butterfly Kisses" on the radio (Frank sang it with Sophie still on her dad's arm) or watching a chick flick makes me want to cry. Sick.
I'd never had anyone this close to me get married. Let alone two in one shot. I don't think I've ever been so happy for someone in all my life. Lance and Sophie are two of my dearest friends; they love Jesus and each other so very much. What could be better than getting together with most all of my friends to see them get married?

I've never gotten to be in the room with the bride as she gets ready for her wedding before. It was super-fun, and I felt so privileged to be a part of that--holding her hand as she got nervous and jittery, laughing when someone suggested she get married with her hair still in the curlers, seeing her giggle and run to the window, trying to catch a glimpse of Lance's car as he drove up. It was one of the coolest things I've ever gotten to see.
We all know that the bride must wear something old, something new, something borrowed, and something blue. Sophie, like all responsible wives-to-be, complied:

Yes indeed, my friends, Old Spice Arctic Blast men's deodorant is indeed blue. The marriage is safe, thanks to Mel's generous application of the blue stuff.
Check out some hot girls! Sophie's maid of honor was Leah Wiechal, and her bridesmaids were Lauren Bull, Ellen Carlson, and Keri Lundquist. Are they not a beautiful bunch? And I must say, they're also the greatest friends to have. 
And the boys didn't look too shabby themselves. Lance's dad was his best man, and Frank Farkash, Enoc Lopez, and Sophie's brother Caleb Allen were his groomsmen. I believe I may have overheard the words "man meat" in reference to the groomsmen, but I'm not sure. Judge for yourself, ladies.

The bride and groom had their first dance to a country song. Entirely appropriate, if you ask me. They did a great job, waltzing away, as if they'd done it all their lives. They could have stepped right out of the closing scene of "Sleeping Beauty." And at the risk of being sappy, the adoring way they looked at each other pretty much melted your heart. Don't you agree?

Aren't they sweet?! Things did get a little racy, though, at the tradtional removing of the garter... Lance grabbed it in his teeth, and I think Sophie's face tells you all you need to know.

The wedding was gorgeous. I hope these pictures show you a little of that, if you weren't there. But that was only half the pleasure of the day. You see, it was also filled with this great big group of my dearest friends, both old and new. Check us all out--a fantabulous melding of childhood friends, high school friends, college friends, and camp friends, all collected in this wonderful little managerie of fun. So many lives entertwined and experiences shared, laughter abounding through it all. My only regret with this picture is that I'm behind the camera. And this isn't even all of "us"!:
Are you enjoying? I hope so. I have one more offering to leave with you before I go to sleep, and that is this really cute picture of my new friend Lauren and I. It's really a swell one. Check us out:

My post-awesome-wedding-conclusion: One of us needs to get married every year, so we can have this kind of get-together more often. Who's next? I wonder who it will be... I think maybe Melanie, but you never can tell.
Tell me what you think of these pictures, I've spent hours posting them now!
Goodnight friends.



7 comments:
to my dearest Katie Carlson, Do you remember me, you're long lost roommie from Andrews? It's so nice to see pic.s of you and what you are up to, even though it's a little painful because I'm so jealous. I miss my Katie! I'm still a little homesick here at Friedensau. Those pic.s on your blog are great, have you ever thought of going into photography as a profession? Because those were some great wedding fotos and you could make a lot of money from wedding fotos. You know what, I heard that Andrews University has a great Photo Dept. I think you should consider it for next year. I know of someone who would love to room with you again...me!
Even if those aren't your photos I still think that you're a natural and should definately go to Andrews next year, what do you think?
Oh my goodness!! yOU MUST SEND ME ALL THE PICTUReS!!! I"M FLiping out in class here!!!! She is soo cute!!!! I NEED to have ALL of your pictures!!!!!! OH MY GOSH!!!!! SOPHIE IS GORGEOUS!!!!
Kurcze Blady- well Katie, I am glad you have a blog now and I am happy you put pictures of the wedding up so that I could at least see Jeremy Sternale. ;) Looking forward to following along with you. ;)
and wait, who is the roomie at friedensau? they cooperate with the seminary i work at!
Wow, all these posters! I thought you'd never come, thanks for stopping by, you made my (entirely too early) morning!
First, Deb: I LOVE YOU! I love your e-mails and I know I suck for not writing back; you'll have to deal with my blogging instead. I'm glad you're having fun in Germany and I miss you terribly. I lucked out with a great roommate this year, but I miss you terribly and if I were at Andrews, I would adore rooming with you again. Sorry, not likely to happen. As you may have noticed, I love Union. But you can always come here. :) I didn't know from your e-mails that you're homesick. Hang in there, I know you'll keep loving it and that will make homesickness worth it!
Miss Nikki,
Hi love! So good to hear from you! I have close to 1000 pictures from the wedding, so giving them to you is out... but you can download the ones on my blog by right-clicking on them. These are most of the cuter ones anyway. I may send you some of camp people if I get a chance though. Hope school is good and you're having fun! Love ya!
Dolly! Wow, I haven't heard from you in forever. Thanks for looking in on me! The roomie in Germany is Debbie Stange, my roommate from Andrews two years ago. She's there for a year and it sounds like she's having fun. I kept up on your blog last year, but I should stop by more often this year. Your adventures always made me smile. ;)
Deb, by the way, I checked out your friend's pics and I thought they were GREAT of you!
oh katie!!! What ever would I do without you?!?!?!?! :P I guess I could settle for camp pictures instead! :D :D ;) :P Although Sophie's wedding IS a pretty big event! but on the other side so is camp! I'm glad to see Dolly read your blog! I told her about it as soon as I knew! And we can't forget about Jeremy... No one even bothered to mention Frank!! I will take the honors and be the first to mention the oh so sweet Frank! There i mentioned him. hehe ok i'm off to send out some mail.
Post a Comment