If you've read my blog before, you may remember that a few weeks ago some friends and I went camping and rock climbing in South Dakota. Now I have pictures to prove it.
Yes indeed, that's me, climbing a really big rock. After watching everybody climb all day long, Josh and the gang finally convinced me to give it a try.
Rock climbing is much harder than it looks. And even somewhat harder than I expected. I would have liked to climb all the way to the top of that big rock in the picture; as it was, I made it about fifty or sixty feet, they tell me. And I'm pretty proud of that.
I really wasn't very scared to climb. I trusted the ropes, the equipment, the people who were telling me that I could do it. My hesitancy was more along the lines of wondering how I'd measure up, what I would look like next to everyone else. I had never climbed before, so I had no personal goals to compete against. Rather than realizing that this meant that I would be successful no matter what, I was more tempted to think that next to all these veteran climbers, I would fail no matter what. To put it simply, I didn't want to look stupid next to people I percieved as better than myself.
How often do we do that in life? Are there times when we trust the situation we're in, but we're afraid to try something new because of unrealistic standards we've set for ourselves? And what about when competing against ourselves would do just fine, but instead we make impossible comparisons with others?
My Philosophical moment for the day: Live for God and for yourself. Forget about what society, your peers, your parents, or your church says about you. Would God like what you're doing? If so, then follow your heart, and forget about what the world thinks. Stop wondering "how cool would it be if..." and just do it. Life life to the fullest. If that means climbing a rock when you think you'll look silly doing it, go get on that rock. If that means sponsoring a poor child in a third world country when you should be paying bills, give that kid a chance at a better life. If it means quitting college and going to culinary school, or getting married on a moment's notice, or changing majors half way through your senior year... forget what everyone thinks is smart, and do what your heart tells you.
At risk of ruining my little moment there, that was quite the tangent, don't you think?
Tuesday, October 25, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



3 comments:
who's quitting school to go to culinary school? lol. better not be YOU!
anyway, since we never talk I will continue to leave comments to let you know what's going on in your darling (ha! [snort]) little sister's life.
going to writer's conf. this weekend. gonna get to chill w/ erika, if she's around. she wants me to stay with her. and see norsey and dennis and jerome etc. it'll be cool, except only one quality person is going. (((my friend ben, who thinks we should skip it and go to six flags instead! which i did on sunday already. it was to fundraise for AA. note to the world. NEVER EVER eat amusement park food EVER again. i promise you. uck. i worked at the "Great American Burger Stand". yeah. don't ever eat amusement park food. it's gross and extremely unsanitary. all i have to say is "live racoon in the back kitchen! i fed it french fries!" yeah. don't do it.))) the rest are kids that annoy the poop out of me. but i must learn to write better!
finally making some headway with yrbk. i LOVE nancy. that's decided. she just got me an extension on our first deadline! yay.
hmm.. let's see what else. there is the little matter of my Current weighted GPA (Q1): 4.31! what what son! that would be on a 4.0 scale. cuz really, what's the point of taking 2 honors classes if you can't have above a 4.0. thanks. :)
i think it's awesome that you're doing crazy stuff like rock climbing and country line dancing. way to be adventurous. i wish i could do cool stuff other than homework, work-work, sleep, and eat! oh yeah and the 5:30 trips to the gym! such an exciting life. ok. i know. pity party, table for one! lol
keep blogging, cuz I like to see what's going on with you! and now you have 3 members of your blog audience. me, emily y, and kim!
love ya! talk to you later. oh yeah, and you're looking pretty hott in that picture! have i said that i'm super proud of you?
ok enough ramblings. bye!
Haha, Em, it's funny you should ask who's quitting to go to culinary school... Keri, actually.
I'm glad you post long comments, its nice to hear what's happening Em. You could always start a blog. I hope you have a good time at writer's conf. Tell Norsey and Dennis I say hey. I'm glad yearbook is looking up. Tell Nancy hi too. JB said she still likes me. :) I liked her a whole lot too. And wow on the GPA. Good luck doing that in college... actually, you probably will. But if you do you won't have a life. I held my straight As for midterms but with all the hours I'm working I doubt it will happen again.
Well I gotta go. I have a two page paper to write before my 9:30 class, and I have to grab a shower before then too. Hope you have a good day!
hehehe!! I went rock climbing just a few weeks ago at school!! the army came to our school and we did some climbing!!! whoohoo!!!
love ya!
Post a Comment