Saturday, February 10, 2007

The Racquet Club

On Wednesday night, the eve of the first day of break, I took a jaunt down to the Racquet Club to cash in on my free month's membership from Phoneathon. (The extreme, ridiculous beast that is wintertime meant that really, there was no other option. My feeling of late has been "Exercise, or die.") I'd never been to the Racquet before. I chatted a bit with Sandy, the nice-girl deskworker who also happens to be my co-worker in the dorm, and she directed me to the membership lady, who signed me up and gave me the grand tour.

When I say "grand tour" I really mean it. The Racquet is a freakin' awesome gym. I had no idea. It has a pool and hot tub. It has racket ball (ya think?), tennis, basketball, and volleyball courts. It has a treadmill room, an elliptical room, and a cycling room, each with probably thirty machines. I haven't even delved into the weight rooms yet--there are two or three of them. There's an indoor track. They have a steam room and sauna, although I'm not sure where they are and what the difference is. There are six locker rooms. There's massage and a snack shop and a sports store and I don't even know what else. They offer over 100 classes a week, if I remember correctly. They gave me a free t-shirt, water bottle and membership book when I cashed in on my free membership. Seriously, this place is way cool.

And so far, I've used it, too. I've gone every day so far, and intend to go tonight. (Crazy thing is, the place is owned by Adventists, so they close before sundown on Friday and open again Saturday night after sunset.) Yesterday, a mere day after resurrecting the running from its November through February death, I ran 2.5 miles and "ellipticaled" for 20 minutes.

And it felt so amazingly good. When I got home, Angela said I glowed at her. Seriously, exercise is my anti-drug. Quite literally, actually--I think if I could motivate myself to go to the gym, I could probably exercise away the December/January worst of the seasonal depression. It is good to see the label "sports" after this post. It's the first of its kind in a long time.

Usually when I blog, I have something to say, and a good conclusion, instead of just rambling. But really, I didn't much feel like blogging in the first place today, so this is what you get. :D

5 comments:

Kristina said...

Hey Darlin'

I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to hear more about it!

Anonymous said...

Oh, how I miss the Racquet Club. It was a god-send for me. I have to say, it's not so easy here, where it's either walk outside in the bitter cold or nothing at all.

I'm happy for you though, and hope you enjoy it fully. You should learn racquetball if you don't already know it. It's fun and competitive and all around good times.

Josh said...

Running... I miss running!!!

Anonymous said...

WOW the place sounds awesome.
That's so cool that they give you a free month for helping with phoneathone.

Anonymous said...

woo hoo! that's it.