Wednesday, August 08, 2007

Thou Shalt Eat Local

Yesterday Ashley and I went to a Local Foods from Local Farms conference sponsored by our Representative to Congress, Jeff Fortenberry.

We were probably the youngest ones there. We were probably the only non-Republicans there (Fortenberry's a Republican, and so are many farmers). We were probably the only ones there without much connection to the local foods market except as big fans of eating locally and naturally.

Ashley's been reading a book by Barbara Kingsolver called Animal, Vegetable, Miracle. It's about a woman and her family who decided to live completely locally for one year; they grew everything that they ate, and bought from neighbors what they couldn't grow. They raised their own meat and vegetables and eggs, learning to farm and can and cook everything they needed to survive. I'm next in line to read the book, and I'm excited about it.

The conference was pretty good, although it was certainly geared toward producers, and secondarily toward local processors. We did get several good web sites, including a sort of online farmer's market co-op that you can join and get monthly shipments of seasonal produce year-around. This would be more helpful, I think, if we ate meat, since I'd expect that's mostly what will be available in winter. I'm now definitely convinced to join the Open Harvest co-op, although I'd mostly decided to do so already. And someday I'd like to have a big garden and learn to grow most of my own vegetables in the summer. Until then, I'll keep frequenting the Farmer's Market and Open Harvest as much as I can.

The lunch was likely the best part of the day. So. good. It was all from Nebraska farmers--we had a mixed grain pilaf, a green salad, fresh-baked rolls, green beans, grilled heirloom tomato and zuccini salad, grilled chicken (Ashley and I split a piece to try it), and fresh cherry or apple pie. It was provided by UNL Dining's Good Fresh Local program. They started GFL to strive to utilize more fresh local foods; while at first they only served one meal made entirely from fresh local foods each month, now they do it more often. They only serve local organic oatmeal, as well as making their own granola from Nebraska oats, honey, and pecans. Ashley and I realized, sadly, that we doubt Union would ever take such steps. It's hard work. It's more expensive. And people just don't "get it."

Do you know that the food you buy at the grocery store travels on average between 1500 and 2500 miles to get to your table? Along the way it's often processed, which means you're getting less of the taste and nutrition of the natural food. Most everything has high-fructose corn syrup in it, which is blamed for much of America's obesity crisis. The foods that you buy at a farmer's market, from a local producer, or which were at least made within your own state travel so much less. You're keeping emissions out of our air from all the trucks and planes used to transport food. You're supporting your local economy; rather than padding Wal-Mart's pockets (which already has more money than God anyway), instead you're supporting a local farmer who's probably struggling to make ends meet and feed his family. And on top of it, fresh local foods have more nutrition and flavor then the stuff you buy in the store.

Yet most people don't see eating local--which is good for your body, supports your neighbors, and saves the planet--as being important for Christians. Food is spiritual (if you don't believe me, believe Rob Bell, who will tell you the same thing). Eating is the constant in the events of our lives. We spend Friday afternoon making Special K loaf special for Sabbath. Little girls dream of what their wedding cakes will look like a decade before they need to worry about it. When someone dies, we bring a dish of food to the family. When a friend is sick, we tell them to have hot soup. When a baby is born, we send candies in the shape of little baby rattles. Women everywhere stock up on chocolate while PMSing. We use food to socialize, inviting friends over to dinner or going out for ice cream. We fill our senses when enjoying good food--the smell, the appearance, the texture, the atmosphere around us, all contribute to the experience.
Where our food comes from and how it is treated before reaching us matters, because food is so entwined with who we are. Eating locally is part of my Christianity because as a Christian I have a responsibility to take care of my planet, my community, and myself.
So plant some tomatos or, if you're like me and can't keep a tomato plant alive to save your life, head to LocalHarvest.org to find a farmer's market or local-food-carrying grocery store near you. I really think you'll be glad you did.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Have you heard of the 100 mile diet. Check it out at www.100milediet.org
It's right up your alley :)