Friday, October 19, 2007

The Truth About College

5 comments:

Victoria said...

that's really interesting Katie! I just came from a vespers that was talking about how much we have and how little other parts of the world has. The part about the money and how much the laptop costs and stuff stuck out to me.

Hope you are enjoying your break from classes!

mrscamacho said...

I don't get it. Can you add some of your own commentary? What is this video trying to say?

Unknown said...

I'm not sure what it's trying to say, but I feel that it's true. That it's typical of college students today. That their statistics are pretty accurate. I think to some extent they're saying that the system is broken and the way colleges function doesn't match the way student today learn or prioritize their time.

Nikki said...

the ironic thing is tech. is being used to watch this which is wasting more time doing something that could be better used studying. except that i'm not in that percentile of ppl who study.

mrscamacho said...

Maybe I'm just an old curmudgeon here (and please forgive my rant), but I don't really see the statistic of how many hours college students waste on TV and Facebook an example of how the educational system is broken.

I mean, REALLY!

Only 8 books per semester? Was that it? Back when I was in college, we had at LEAST 8 books PER seminar. Seriously!

I was also amused by how freakin' WHITE the class was. Granted, it's from Kansas. But how on earth can it be an example of college students in general when no one of any other nationality or cultural background seems to be represented?

Anyway. There are definitely some good points presented here, but ironically I thought of it as way more of a commentary on the sad state of early 20's laziness than anything that schools are doing wrong.

(I do want to say that there is definitely a LOT of room for improvement in the educational system, but I wouldn't advocate pandering to the "needs" of kids who can't discipline themselves to get their homework done.)

Okay, I'm feeling so old and need to go to bed. ;)