McFoster's Natural Kind Cafe

A few weeks ago, Laura and I found a new favorite place. On one of our semi-regular trips to Omaha, we visited McFoster's Natural Kind Cafe for lunch.
McFoster's is an almost-vegetarian restaurant that, in my opinion, falls into the category of a hippie hangout. (Israel--I know you will be miffed that I labeled something, but the waitresses live in a commune, they serve wheatgerm and carrot juice, and the peace placards and bumper stickers overlap each other on every surface. It qualifies.) The food was super-tasty, the atmosphere was fun, and the servers were nice. The hostess complimented my vintagey clip-on earrings, which made my day.
Their menu is not only mostly vegetarian (they have a few chicken and sea food dishes), but many of the items on it can be made vegan. When I ordered my veggie melt sandwich, the waitress said "Do you want soy cheese or regular?" They use organic eggs and don't use refined flours or sugars. They recycle, and offer a 10% discount if you bring your own container when you order take-out. There are conscientious-film-nights once a week, and live music regularly.
If you ever get to Omaha, Nebraska, I'd recommend McFoster's for a meal or a hang-out. Sophia especially enjoyed the banana ketchup that came with my sweet potato french fries (she takes after her Auntie Hold Me that way). At first I offered it to her on a carrot, but soon realized that she was just sucking it off the end, so I switched to a spoon. She preferred it that way.



4 comments:
So Cute!
Food sounds good. I like excentric/ecclectic places like that.
no, no, no!
NOTHING qualifies as a hippie.
hippies lived in the 60s. there are no more hippies. hippie ideals, maybe. but would it be fair to peg all those ideals to hippie-ness?
can you say adventists are hippies? some live in communes. they eat healthy. some make their own clothes and live in the country.
living in a commune and eating organic is to "hippie-ness" what going to youth group and canvassing is to christianity.
all i'm saying is that word is dead. come up with something else.
hippies also did massive amounts of drugs and had unprotected sex with many different people.
hippies had it figured out i think.
What a cute baby.
Post a Comment