Friday, March 14, 2008

On Becoming a Lab Rat

I feel as though I've crossed some sort of invisible line today. Up until this point, what I do is what has put food on my table. Today, I'm earning money by what is done to me. I finally got tired of being so poor, and of watching the balance on my credit card slowly creep up. So I joined a medical study.

I'm in a facility this weekend and next weekend where they'll test an HIV drug on me and 50ish other participants. The pay is very good, so I think it will be worth it. But that doesn't mean it's a good time. It's the most scheduled thing I've ever done. They keep track of
everything. They confiscated my makeup because it apparently has a type of sunscreen in it (who knew?). I couldn't bring my cell phone because it has a camera on it. I couldn't eat anything today, and through the rest of the weekend, I have to eat everything they put in front of me. I'm not looking forward to the barbecue beef sandwich tomorrow.

Fortunately, it means that I don't have to pay for groceries for six days out of spring break, and come April 1, I'll be doing pretty awesome financially. And I only have 31 more blood draws to go! Provided they don't have to stick me three times for each one (like they did for the last one), I should be home-free. Plus, they have free wireless, so I'll be able to be online a lot, and do homework and stuff.

I have a ridiculous headache from the lack of coffee today, and I'm hungry.

Next weekend, my friends Israel and Eric are in a different study here. Hopefully we'll be in the same general area. It'll be less boring with friends.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're braver than me. I always wanted to, but mostly the meat and the time considerations put me off of it. I hope it all goes well.

Unknown said...

Be safe.

Nikki said...

yes, be safe.