Saturday, November 01, 2008

Halloween

I was a butterfly for Halloween. You might think it is lame to be a butterfly for Halloween, like being a princess or a cowgirl. It is not lame, and I will tell you why: I think that butterflies are good omens, and butterflies at this time of year are especially good because what butterfly, with its paper-thin wings and tiny, fragile body, can withstand below-freezing temperatures at night? They are all dead. So I was a butterfly, so that I could be a good omen to everyone I met tonight. Many people liked my costume, especially my face paint, which my sister graciously toiled over for me. One customer said "Tell her she did a fabulous job, and she is in the perfect major!" when I told them that she is going to be an elementary school teacher and thus is super-crafty-woman. I am especially proud that my costume cost me $4; two for the wings at goodwill, one for the pipe-cleaner antennae, and one for the cheap black plastic headband. The rest was stuff I already had.
My co-workers also dressed up. Joe, whom I did not get a picture of, was a Chippendale dancer. Kenny was a genetically-modified green bean. He carried around a fancy jade vintage perfume bottle and periodically spritzed himself with "Pesticiduction." No one knows what Dustin was, except that he was someone who wore a purple tie and many layers of crazy clothes. In other words: himself. Our customers, mostly regulars, and all adults, came in dressed up as well: We had Popeye and Olive Oil, Captain Jack Sparrow, a playboy bunny, a green troll, a few zombies and vampires, a French maid, and Twiggy.

What were you for Halloween?

5 comments:

Unknown said...

I like your costume! I think it was very original and Emily did do an awesome job on your face paint. And it only cost $4 WOW!
Mine cost $0, but that's cause I was unoriginal and went as a cowgirl. Although I didn't wear my boots, I thought that might be a little too authentic for my office. My co-worker Kelly and I made our other co-worker Bob a recycle bin costume. He won most creative and we're all sharing the dunkin donuts gift card he won. It made it that much funnier cause he is our recycle guy in our office, always going around and making sure the bins are taken care of and pulling stuff out of trash cans that should be in recycling.

mrscamacho said...

Nothing, but there was a guy in the elevator last night with a bunch of still shots from Robert De Niro movies safety pinned to his shirt.

"I'm 'Mucho Dinero,'" he told us.

I groaned, but secretly I thought it was great!

Angela said...

you are super cute! as i told you already, i was the fairy of death and wore my black dress with my dance leotard underneath. i made some red shiny. mat dressed in his usual polyester with a hat and red handkerchief (that sadly may have ruined his fabulous shirt) and was a 1976 closet homosexual. the teacher party was fun. joe the plumber was there. it was nice. i wish i could have seen all the bread and cup costumes though. it sounds like a fun night.

Angela said...

p.s. and i'm glad my shirt is useful for you. you look great in it!

Katie said...

yes, i love that shirt! i have worn it out on a fancy night on the town, to a wedding reception, and for halloween. i'm sure other times too, but those are the memorable ones. actually, most days i look down at my body and realize i'm wearing something from you. :)