Sunday, February 22, 2009

garter-warm-yumminess.

it's cold in lincoln, nebraska, and i've taken to new measures to stay warm. i bought very long socks at target, socks that come to about four inches above my knees. some of them are cute with spots and bright colors, and others are classy, black, and ribbed. one pair is thigh-high and actually knit, with cables and everything.

mmm, warm goodness, without the bulk or overheating of long johns!

i love my new, tall socks, but sometimes they get baggy around the ankles. it is awkward to pull up such long socks, especially through jeans. what to do?

today i read on the blog of a thrifty-fashionable young woman that she wears "flapper-girl garters" to hold up her knee socks. garters! i forgot that garters can be functional and not just sex toys. they were made to do something, before we had elastic, no?

where does one get garters these days, other than a store in which you have to show i.d. to gain entrance?

4 comments:

Kristina said...

Have you looked much? 'Cause I really feel that you should be able to get them in department stores and Victoria Secret.

Very long socks...an investment I may have to check out. I really hate how long johns bunch up, so I almost never wear them. However, up here that often = very cold legs. Interesting.

Unknown said...

You can get some heavy duty ones that hockey players use to keep their socks up. You can get those at any sports store that carries hockey equipment. But I think Kristina's right that you should be able to find some standard womens ones at JC Penny or Sears.

Anonymous said...

a website called "sock dreams" carries them...but they should be easy to make. you could go to a fabric store, get some eleastic and sew a button on each (something like that).

Anonymous said...

Etsy, duh! :)