Monday, February 06, 2006

Highway Robbery and Other Rants

Update:

I purchased new Venus razor cartridges today. Four of them, at the campus store.

My world--

Has officially--

Been rocked.

Four razors... $13.74. Smooth legs... COSTLY.

---

In other news, did anyone watch Grey's Anatomy last night? Goodness, it was a great episode. Seems like the shows coming on right after the Super Bowl usually are. But did anyone else notice, as I did, that an incredibly dramatic show about life and death and bomb threats began with a scene of three women in the shower? A scene which (surprise surprise) turned out to be George dreaming? A scene that was entirely unneccessary and irrelevant to the rest of the episode, aside from the fact that undoubtedly it fulfilled its intended purpose to grab the primarily-male audience of the game just prior to it? I was a bit offended at the blatent use of the "sex sells" marketing theory. I remember a couple of years ago, the Alias episode that came on just after the Super Bowl began with Jennifer Gardner in various styles of lingerie, carrying a riding crop. Although it was slightly more relevant to the episode, even that seemed like an undisguised ploy to grab post-game (male) viewers. Am I the only one bothered by this? Is it not offending to guys for the media to be essentially saying "The only way we can move the male viewer's mind away from football is with a half-naked woman"? Oh heavens, I hope that's not the truth.

On a lighter note, how 'bout them Steelers!? Pittsburgh, what what! It was kinda a boring game though. I watched/listened to the whole thing while writing a World Lit paper, and I was disappointed that very little of it actually pulled me away from my computer screen. But the outcome was good, and there were a few nice plays, so overall, it was a good Super Bowl experience. Anybody else watch?

Hope you're all having a good Monday!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have a solution to your razor/expense problem....don't shave your legs!!! I haven't shaved mine in over a week and I am in the pool at least 5 days a week!!! In the winter, there is absolutely no reason to shave your legs, except on Sabbath and that is only if you are wearing a skirt!! So rebel against shaving with me....

Katie said...

Cousin Andi! I'd heard you were a lurker on my blog, I'm glad to hear from you. :)

Actually, I was totally a follower of the not shaving rule, but then I realized that when you hardly ever shave, and your razor is really really dull like mine was, then when you DO have to wear a skirt, shaving doesn't do much. :) Hence my attempt at shaving that ended in a scar on my ankle. :)

How's Michigan? I hope I get to see you sometime soon!