Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Nobody But Me

Don't waste your time looking over your shoulder
Those loves from the past ain't getting no closer
When I look in my future you're all I can see
Don't go loving on nobody but me.

I took my time to tell you how I feel
Just because I took so long don't mean that it isn't real
I ain't got no diamond, but I'm down on my knees
Don't go loving on nobody but me.

Nobody but me gonna love you like you ought to be loved on
Nobody but me gonna cry if you up and leave
You can do what you want to,
But I'm asking pretty please (Honey) Don't go loving on nobody but me.

When I saw Blake Shelton in concert last Saturday night, he sang this song. It's one of my favorites of his, but it took on a whole new meaning to see him singing it live. On the words "Don't go loving on nobody but me" during the last chorus, he pointed his index finger toward the ceiling for a second.

"Huh," I thought. "Did he mean that like I took it?"

When the final line was repeated at the very end, Shelton again raised his arm and pointed a finger to the sky, holding it longer this time for the last, slower line.

And I really think he meant it the way I felt it. In the middle of that stadium of party-hardy UMass collegiates with their Coors Lights and mini skirts,
I heard God whisper in my ear:

Nobody but me gonna love you like you ought to be loved on
Nobody but me gonna cry if you up and leave
You can do what you want to,
But I'm asking pretty please Don't go loving on nobody but me.

2 comments:

Nikki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Emily said...

wow. you are a real writer k? don't doubt yourself.

hope you're feeling good. this weather is making me so blllllaaaaaaahhhhhh! or that may be the senioritis. :)