Thursday, April 27, 2006

Germophobes Beware

A taste of the college life:

Today I went to the cafeteria for supper for the first time in a long time. I purchased a sandwich consisting of:

2 pieces of Sysco wheatberry bread
2 slices of Worthington sliced chik
2 pieces of lettuce
2 slices of tomato
3 pickle slices
5 pieces of mushroom
an olive

This sandwich cost me $4.78. But purchasing an obnoxiously over-priced sandwich isn't the worst of the atrocities that cafeteria eating will push you to.

I also procured about a half a bowl of frosted mini wheats. Oh, excuse me, I meant "Frosted Mini-Spooners," which is the knock-off brand of the Kelloggs classic. This half-bowl (less than the 24-piece serving size, according to their website) cost me a few pennies less than two dollars.

Still not the worst part yet.

On my way back to the dorm, take-out tray in hand, and bowl of cereal gracefully resting on top, a gust of wind blew my cereal away. The bowl bounced into the ground, spilling its contents across the beautiful green grass. My first thought was, "Agghhh! There goes two bucks worth of cereal!"

My second thought was that it is Preview Days. Although the squirrels would have enjoyed them, in the name of campus beautification, I decided to pick up the spilled spooners and cart them back to the dorm before throwing them away.

I didn't do it. My cheap college student couldn't handle the prospect of wasting two whole dollars worth of cereal.

(This is the part where germophobes should definately quit reading.)

I ate the cereal.

7 comments:

Kristina said...

I'm proud of you, Katie. I'm definitely not a germophobes. Oh there are lines that I won't cross, but...I think eating it was fine.

"In the name of campus beautification" made me laugh. :0)

Gina said...

I was waiting for you to say that! lol after paying almost two whole dollars for a half a bowl of cereal i would have eaten it too!
xo, Gina

Anonymous said...

OH roomie. Roomie... I am no germophobe. However, eating cereal that had previously been strewn across the dirt and grass of Union is just crossing the line.

Emily said...

this coming from you, a germophobe, worries me a little.

Katie said...

what?? I'm not a germophobe. Far from it. Tell me, sister, when I've been worried about germs.

lady be good said...

God made dirt so dirt can't hurt- unless someone was walking in that area after having stepped in doggie poop. not wanting to lick the bottom of someone's shoe has nothing to do with germophobia- but then again, what are stomach acids for anyway! keep that galbladder working!

Kim said...

Hhhmmm, I thought I replied to this post last night, but it was pretty late so I guess I just THOUGHT I did.
I was laughing so hard by the end when I read it through the first time, one of those things you could see coming but couldn't believe you would actually do it.
I plan to get back to my blog soon.