Here Be Dragons
Today in How to Study the Bible class, Dr. Shepherd was teaching us about how to interpret the Bible for today’s application. He told us of the mapmaking techniques Christopher Columbus and his contemporaries used. They would map the areas they knew, and when they got to the end of the day’s exploratory knowledge, they would blur the edges and write, “Here be dragons.” Their point was that the unknown was scary. Who knew what was out there? They assumed the worst: Around every dark corner, there be dragons.
My mind immediately began to question old Chris’ reasoning. Why were they so afraid? Had so many gone exploring and come back mangled by dragons that they began to assume that the unknown always equals danger? Before Dr. Shepherd could quite finish his story and begin to apply it, I knew that I disagreed with the map-makers of old. Fear cripples us. We need not assume the worst. We need not dread the dragons. I do not want to live a life of fear.
Then Dr. Shepherd made his application of the story. He explained that when interpreting the Bible, we should be very cautious. We should always assume that when pushing the boundaries of the currently-held interpretations, we should use caution of the same kind as the map-makers and their dragons. When people posit, “Oh, that doesn’t apply to us today,” or, “But why don’t we try looking at this verse in a new way,” we should assume—“Here be dragons!”
Respectfully, I disagree with both Columbus and Shepherd (who each have approximately the same level of greatness in my mind). I don’t want to see dragons around every literal or figurative corner. I don’t care to have apprehension for the unknown.
I do not want to live a life of fear.



6 comments:
I have to giggle at the level of irony in his application, considering the imagery that the word "dragon" brings up in an SDA's (or any apocalyptic-centric church's) mind!
Here be Dragons.
Or...perhaps, Thar be Jesus - in a new and astonishing way! Isn't that the purpose of the Holy Spirit? To continually refresh us with MORE and DEEPER knowledge of our Lord?
Gah.
Hooray for irony! Isn't it interesting that, even with that fear, Columbus summoned the tremendous courage to venture where no(t many) people had gone before. Despite that, I don't hold him in such high esteem, probably a bit too obstinately. I just think of it as the first of sparks igniting the fire of manifest destiny and other holocausts. Hooray for Columbus Day!
Somehow I was waiting expectantly for a surprise ending or turnaround, in which your lovely Professor would shed light on a powerful core meaning behind this idea.... Well, maybe it was powerful to him.
Keep up your radical spirit, Katie!
To take an opposite view:
Not all fear is bad. Fear can mean respecting and questioning, recognizing the possibility for danger. Thus, fear can be good, just as it is good for us to fear a lion. And in some ways, we should fear God. To me, "Here Be Dragons" doesn't mean dreading the unknown or being crippled by our apprehension. It's about recognizing that when we don't known everything there is to know about a partial subject, object, or place, then we don't know both the good and the bad, and there's always the real possibility for danger. Living a life of caution isn't the same thing as living a life of fear, and to me it's wiser than living a life run rampant.
I continue to admire your ability to refuse to waste your life in wait of good things and in fear of... fear.
It's true that life on the edge of a map can/could be scary but I believe Jesus wants to grow our maps to new and different destinations, if we let him.
So, I'm with you. I'm glad I know you.
I read this a couple weeks ago, but I did not leave a comment. I'm leaving a comment now. These are good thoughts. Good writing.
I would like to talk to you. Chris Blake referred me to you, and then I realized I'd eaten a fine meal in your house. Can you get my phone number from Angela so you can call me? We'll be in Lincoln at the end of December.
Professor Blake thought you might like to share your writing at
www.adventist-environmental-advocacy.com. Let's talk.
Peace, Jeff
Oops.
http://www.adventist-environmental-advocacy.blogspot.com/
Post a Comment