Alicante
It has always been an annoyance of mine that I really don't much get into poetry. I think I'm a poetry kind of girl--except I'm not. I've recently discovered, though, that I like French poetry. I have to research Jacques Prévert for French class, and rather than read about his life, I've been reading his poems. This one is my favorite so far, probably because I can understand much of it:
Alicante
Une orange sur la table
Ta robe sur le tapis
Et toi dans mon lit
Doux présent du présent
Fraîcheur de la nuit
Chaleur de ma vie.
An orange on the table
Your dress on the rug
And you in my bed
Sweet gift of the present
Freshness of the night
Warmth of my life.
--Jacques Prévert
Une orange sur la table
Ta robe sur le tapis
Et toi dans mon lit
Doux présent du présent
Fraîcheur de la nuit
Chaleur de ma vie.
An orange on the table
Your dress on the rug
And you in my bed
Sweet gift of the present
Freshness of the night
Warmth of my life.
--Jacques Prévert



2 comments:
That's very sweet (in the cozy lovable way, not the "wow!" way). I like how the focus begins with something so simple and trivial, but grows. And the "present/present" line is pretty nifty.
I'd like to learn french (that's after I do italian and german). Did you make the translation yourself? I could understand about a third of it (somewhat similar to español). Muy bien, madam.
I like this poem, very much. Try reading kids poetry. And dancing at the same time. It may revive the "poetry spirit" as well. Hearing poetry performed (every now and then, as a "jam" or "slam") may also grab you. Maybe. :)
Post a Comment