Monday, December 12, 2005

Of Hide & Seeking, Moonlight Dancing, and Aslan

God is playing a game of hide and seek with me. Most times I have a hard time finding Him. Sometimes in the midst of the gaudy distractions of life, I forget even to look.


But then He shows up where I least expect Him, and I remember to peer for a moment beyond the dingy world in which I live. Because what's real, what matters, is that I'm dancing with Him in a glistening forest, with willowy trees shimmering in the silvery moonlight, laughing and living and loving in a seek-and-find adventure He's writing for me as we go. Dancing is graceful when your partner knows the steps, and waltzes across the moss-carpeted forest floor with confidence.

Usually I am so preoccupied with my clumsy, muddling half-tries that I stare at my feet, failing to look up into eyes so utterly captivated with love for me. I forget that when enclosed in strong arms, even falling doesn't matter. I am distracted by my own selfish wanderings, graceless bumblings, dreary worldliness--and oh my, to my dismay, I remember that I don't know how to dance at all...

But even these melt away to the soft music that is grace. One musn't know the steps to be a dancer. Not when you're dancing with Him.

The glimpses of that world are rare; but rare things are the most beautiful of all.

Lately, and not for the first time, I've found Him, the One asking me to dance, in a Lion. Do you see Him too?

"'Well, I do think someone might have arranged about our meals,' said Digory. 'I'm sure Aslan would have, if you'd asked him,' said Fledge. 'Wouldn't he know without being asked?' said Polly. 'I've no doubt he would,' said the Horse (still with his mouth full). 'But I've a sort of idea he likes to be asked.'"
--The Magician's Nephew


"I tell you he is the King of the wood and the son of the great Emporor-beyond-the-Sea. Don't you know who is the King of Beasts? Aslan is a lion--the Lion, the great Lion,' [said Mr. Beaver]... 'Then isn't he safe?' said Lucy. 'Safe?' said Mr. Beaver; 'don't you hear what Mrs. Beaver tells you? Who said anything about safe? 'Course he isn't safe. But he's good. He's the King, I tell you.' 'I'm longing to see him,' said Peter, 'even if I do feel frightened when it comes to the point.'"
--The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe

Funny that little children's tales allow me a glimpse of the God who romances me in the moonlight...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I just really like this entry..

nikki