To The Lurkers
I’m a fairly faithful blogger. I will admit to occasionally missing a few days here and there. I’ll even own up to the travesty of lazy bloggers everywhere: I do sometimes post a comic as a post all its own. But overall, I’ve been pretty good about this blogging thing. While I haven’t delved into the realm of audio or video posts, I do try my best to entertain with pictures and careful writing.
And I actually have quite a few readers, perhaps more than I expected. My sitemeter tells me about a friend in Poland, and a friend-of-many-friends in Korea, who both log on somewhat regularly. I was puzzled over an Adventist Health Systems Florida reader, who I’ve recently discovered is actually someone I know after all. My friends in Maryland (you know who you are) delight me by sometimes logging on several times a day. I’ve deciphered screen resolutions and internet browsers in order to craftily decide which of “the boys” has logged on from their single service provider in Lincoln (there are five boys living in their house, and at least four computers that I know of, so I felt that this was an accomplishment). Moral of the story: commenting or not, friends, I know you’re out there.
So, dear reader, let me let you in on a personal secret of mine. I think that regular, purposeful lurking is a blogging faux pas. Surely some thought enters your mind as you read my ramblings. Even if it is “How can someone possibly find this subject intriguing enough to write a post about?” I would like to hear your musings. Of course, I understand that every post may not strike your interest, or your eloquent thoughts. But surely, you lurkers, could you not find a moment to share with me every couple of posts or so?
After all, I know you’re out there. It’s not like it’s a secret.
I can think of only one thing that prevents me from commenting on others’ blogs. And that is that they would not care to read what I have to say—or don’t especially want to hear from me regardless of my thoughts. I assure you, this is most certainly not the case with me. Regardless of who you are, I most likely do have an interest in what you are thinking. In fact, since the whole point of this blogging business was to better keep in touch with everybody (“everybody” being everyone I’ve ever met or heard of through friends), comments are essential to my blog’s attaining its best level of functionality.
So, in an effort to draw out the lurkers, simultaneously destroying them, and further, to make this blog a significantly more interactive thing, I dedicate this post to my lurking friends. I love you all. I want to hear your voice.
My plan of action is to ask one or more questions of each one of you. How can you possibly resist answering me when I’ve such a genuine interest in your lives and thoughts? If you can indeed resist such attention, well, then you’re either stronger than most, or else just silly.
Dolly P. in Poland: Are you still loving the country of your heritage? Do you plan to ever return to America again? What are you doing of late? I would know these things if I lurked on your blog as you do on mine. I’ll try to do better.
Angela B. in Korea: Do you know who I am? What exactly is it that you’re doing in Korea again? Teaching English? I am friends with your friends, and they love you a lot, so you must be really awesome. Will you be in Lincoln when you get back?
Kim F.: You’re better at the commenting thing than most, and for that I thank you. But I do want to know: how was Florida? What did Andrew get you for Christmas?
Renee B. in Argentina and Erin H. in France: How is school in other countries? Renee, do you actually have a blog I can read? Should I have come with you Erin—is France that good? How much of the languages do you both know so far?
Angela S.: You read even though I hardly know you! That is so nice! But I have a personal question for you. Emily and I can’t seem to get a straight answer from married people: is getting married really “worth it”? And also, do you like Kentucky? Are you and Michael ever going to come visit us all in Lincoln again?
Greg O.: Are you ever going to blog again? How was Christmas? Did you get anything unexpected? When do you go back to school? We should plan another party for the first week back. The last one was pretty good, wasn’t it?
Carissa H.: I assume that you’re the Grand Forks hit. When are you and Tim getting married? What plans have you made so far? What I’ve read on your blog seems a little vague sometimes. When? Where? Colors? Attendants? Details! :)
Nikki F: How are you, dear girl? How is your Christmas going? Did I tell you that I’ve decided to go back to camp this summer? Did I tell you I’ll be having a different job? When do you have to go back to school?
My Berrien Springs Dairy friends: Someone in Berrien reads. I’m hoping they’re a dairy person, ‘cause I’d like to know some stuff. How’s work? Is Heather still working full time? How’re she, Mike, and the kids? Whatever happened to Barbie—is she still around? Does Mimi still feed the cats? Is 3165 back from IA yet? Is she bred? Oh I miss it all so much…
Andrea C.: You’re a good commenter. Thanks! How’s break going? You get back Monday the 9th right? What cool things did you get for Christmas?
Emily Y.: Do you miss me yet? Did you get my e-mail? How was your afternoon with your mom? Have you and she and your brother gone to see Pride and Prejudice yet? I started looking for plane tickets. :) Have you looked at your calendar? Did you figure out who to shoot for your project? Have you started blogging the pictures of Megan yet? What cute things did she do last night?
Ben Y.: Why don’t they teach grammar classes in college? Are you ever going to e-mail me back? Who did you beat at X-box last night? How the heck did you get those stripes on your blog again? Will you please help me with mine?? Do you need me to work on Monday the 9th? How many seasons of Friends have you gotten though already?
To the readers in Northbrook, IL; Horsham, PA; Mount Laurel, NJ; Winchester, CA; Daytona Beach, FL; Kalamazoo, MI; College Place, WA; and the State Communications Department in Lincoln: Who are you? Thanks for coming by!
Everybody Else: How was your Christmas? Where do you live? Do I know you? How do I know you? What did I do to become so blessed with your readership?
And now, for those who answer: THANKS! This does not get you off the hook--you must keep commenting, okay?
For those who don't: why do you disappoint me so?
PS: Yes, I do lurk from time to time. Mostly on people's blogs whom I do not know (did I use "whom" right, Englishy friends?). If you notice I'm there and think I ought to be saying something, let me know, I'll start. :)



10 comments:
HEHEHE! Good blogging :)
Andrew got me a tri bag. What's that you ask? A huge backpack with special compartments for all the things you need on race day. I used to carry everything in a milk crate, which is the choice of most triathletes, but I find it extremly difficult to balance a milk crate on my bike at 7:00am.
If the Daytona Beach address was just over the Christmas Break I bet it was me. YES I EVEN read your blog while I was on vacation :)
Yay Kim! Good job! I find it ironic (probably the use of that word is 'cause I'm listening to the song of the same name by Alanis) that you're the first one to comment on this, and you're probably the most faithful commenter anyway. :) Thanks tho. The tri bag sounds awesome. Tell him he should have showed it to me while I was there. :) Hehe, yeah, Daytona was probably you, I'm flattered.
Boy, do I love you and your posts. Did you know that? And did you know that I appreciate all your many questions? Dare I say I have the most? Hah. Now, let's see if I can remember them. The answers will follow in order of how they were addressed. (Thought I should make things harder for you and, perhaps, more interesting!)
1. Yes, most assuredly. Teddy too. He had no one to lean up against last night. Poor Tedrick.
2. I just did! Can't respond to it until I have a few more winks. Hoping this will bring you a bit of happiness until then.
3. Crazy packed. Nails and hair all cute now! More in the e-mail.
4. We went tonight! I was speechless and amazed. (Ben had no comments, unless you count a shrug.)
5. Oh! How great, how wonderful! You're the best! Yay! *Emily blushes*
6. No. No time today. Been consumed. Keep bugging me. It did cross my mind today! Does that cover me?
7. Possibly. :) But say a prayer for me and my projects, will ya? Tomorrow is Mom's shoot.
8. Nooo. Heh. I will tell you my proposition in the e-mail.
9. I was fortunate enough to be the one to carry her to the car last night, so I was also the one holding her as she said her goodbyes to everyone. She was doing this cutey patooty thing where she had her lips together with her tongue slightly out as she received and handed out her goodbye kisses. (Hard to explain. To clarify, it was far from gross.) It was so unexpected, hilarious, and simply adorable. Then she nuzzled her head into my chest as if she was embarrassed and tired all at once. And of course, the evening was quite complete with her repetitive byes...as always. :)
DID YOU REALLY ASK THAT MANY QUESTIONS??
10. I hope you've laid your head, just as I am yearning to do in a short period of time. Thou deeply loveth you! My questions for you shall be of future addressing. Exhaustion has taken over my intellect. The decision for no more P&P has been made. Its affect on my vocabulary is not as one would hope for or request (Oh the sweet poetry we have lost in present English.). One must be on her way...
Miss you, that of a great deal. :)
Oh Em, you just gave me the greatest joy, I love to hear from you!!! I grinned through every word of that.
You're right, you were tired. You said "Thou deeply loveth you." Wouldn't that mean that I love myself? ;) No worries, P&P gave me the same vocabulary for a while.
I'll reply more in the response to your forthcoming e-mail. Love ya.
Katie, to answer your questions: I think being married is worth it. At least for me. I love being married. Except for the fact that I had to follow my husband to a land without people our age. Other than that, married life is great. Like the four years we dated, but more relaxed, and we don't have to squeeze in time together like we used to.
Also, we're hoping to come out sometime in the spring. Maybe for spring break, but maybe just before Tim and Carissa's wedding, whenever that will be. So I don't know if it will be while school is still in or not. Just no we're missing everyone and Lincoln itself. We would come much more often if we could.
Katie! Yes I still love Poland. I don't know what I am doing after Grad this year- maybe Italy? When you wrote about a Renee B in Argentina, which Renee B are you speaking of, just curious.
I've only been to your blog a few times, I will also try to be better about reading it. I was afraid to comment because I wasn't sure if I was cool enough- you know, maybe I am too old to be commenting on your blog. ;) And I have a black sheep complex which leads me to believe no one likes me. ;) Tell me it's not true! Tell me that you like me and want me to comment! ;)
hehehe well you obviously got some comments! yes, i do know you'll be back! i read your email... well part of it.. i'm finishing the rest in a little while. (talking to my friend in poland!)what position?!?! i want to know!!! Counselor?!?! if so i need to know now!! so then i can promise to get you and not Emily or Dolly... ;) (thats if either one goes.. and i'm hoping Emily will be able to cause of school etc.)
And dear Emily: you have the most becaue you are loved soo much by Katie! and i tried to call yesterday..
Thanks for your thoughts, guys!
Angela: Thanks for the words of hope. Em and I had both noticed that our married friends seemed to drop off the face of the earth. And their answers on marriage always seemed so vague that we were thinking maybe that gettin' hitched wasn't worth the sacrifice of friendship (at least for us personally). You and Michael have seemed much better about being married and keeping friends, so your input was important. I feel better now. :)
Nik: I think I may keep you guessing a while on the camp position question. I'll give you a hint: it's not counselor, so Em and I won't have to fight over you. :P
Em: Nikki's right, by the way. ;)
To answer your questions: My break is going well, I am sad that it is rapidly coming to an end. Christmas was good-I got warm clothing to survive the cold. The weather is so nice here in Arizona, why must I go back? How is your break going? How was christmas? Yes, I do get back on the 9th, when do you return? Happy new year and enjoy the rest of your break.
I think it's partially because we're way the heck in the middle of nowhere, and we both desperately need friends. I'm such a people person that I really start to get depressed if I'm not around people in one way or another. Thus the blog lurking.
Post a Comment