Musical Rhapsody
On Friday, my computer's begging finally wore me down.
I've been prompted for weeks now to "update Windows." But once the process got started, each time it promised to take so long that I gave up and canceled the update. But on Friday, I finally caved, and updated my system.
Apparently I've been missing out on one of the great blessings of technology all this time. I don't know how it happened, but by some miracle, updating Windows caused me to have access to the most wonderful of iTunes perks.
Once the updates were installed and my computer reset, I opened iTunes to find a new category on the left-hand menu bar. It's called "Shared Music." Mere nano-seconds before I deleted this new and supposedly unwanted category, a whole list of playlists appeared below the title. Dozens of them.
"Is this some ploy to get me to purchase more music through the iTunes Store?" I wondered. But then I began to notice names that I recognized. These names were those of my fellow Unionites.
Could it be?
Sure 'nuff, somehow through the miracle of iTunes technology, "Shared Music" means that my fellow students can create playlists to share over the network. And it's legal. If it weren't iTunes wouldn't let it happen (they're darn good at preventing such thievery). I don't know why I wasn't gifted with this privilege before my long-awaited update, but holy heck, I'm glad I have it now!
Granted, all I can do is listen to the songs (not create playlists or put them on my iPod or anything), and the gracious givers of such musical gifts must have their computers on and connected to the network for me to do so, but this is still a marvelous revelation to me.
All the formerly unexplored musical frontiers that I'd been too broke to venture into mere days ago, I now have waiting at the tip of my fingers.
Sufjan Stevens? Check.
Garth Brooks' Lost Sessions? Check.
Pedro the Lion? Check.
MOST EVERY U2 ALBUM I COULD WANT?!?! DOUBLE-CHECK!
The downside of such a discovery is that now I realize just how extensive my classmates' Black Sabbath, Metallica, Godsmack, and Weezer collections are. While my experience with such bands is limited, I haven't been under the impression that they can be generally considered as extremely uplifting. But I could be wrong.
Anyway, I'm listening to U2's The Joshua Tree album now, much to my great delight.



4 comments:
you poo head! remember when you told me that that was crap when i first downloaded itunes? you silly goose.
i feel the sudden urge to go home and update MY itunes now! i updated before i left but i supposed i will have to do it again. hmm.. who knew. now we all know itunes is only the best media player on the puter. think about it folks.
i love u and MISS YOU SOO SOO SOO MUCH!!!!! SOOO MUCH!! i passed morhsville rd. today!! i was got soo excited in the car i thought my mom was going to come a to a hault.
wow. i feel extremely stupid now. lol i will have to call you and tell you the story, since it is too long to write out. lets just say that i thought that i accidentally downloaded all of that from a friend. whoops.
Aaah. U2. Joshua Tree is amazing. I'd tell you when I first heard it, but it would identify me as clearly the oldest person who reads your blog :o.
Now I wish I was back in college and could share playlists ...
Post a Comment