A Sad, Sad Day
Yesterday, which was really today in Australia, Steve Irwin, fondly known around the world as the Crocodile Hunter, was killed.
While I've never been a huge fan of Stevo myself, several of my very close friends are somewhat mad about him. I've seen and heard a lot of his work over the years, and have come to appreciate his excitement over animals and his many conservation efforts.
Strangely, Irwin died not after losing a fight with a ferocious croc, or from the venom of a deadly snake. He was killed filming a documentary about sea creatures. He was swimming over a stingray buried in the sand, when, startled, the animal's sharp, barbed tail flew up and stung him through the heart. Medical professionals think he died instantly and painlessly. He is survived by his wife, Terri, an American, and two children, 8 and 3 years old. Singrays are normally known to be peaceful and unaggressive; experts say that the odds of a death such as Irwin's are one in a million.
The world has lost a passionate environmentalist in Steve Irwin.



3 comments:
:( So sad, I heard about it too...
Now it just won't feel right to say, "Crikey!" anymore.
This is sad :( I heard about it on myspace yesterday (of all places). It's so strange about how he died though...since the odds are so small.
Katie, I seriously felt like I lost a dear friend when Steve Irwin died. Does that mean I am a loser? Lol. No, I'm serious though. I'm totally bummed about it. It's unfortunate to see such a passionate person go. :-( Muy sad.
Post a Comment