Wednesday, January 03, 2007

New Year's Resolution

So usually I make a couple of New Year's Resolutions. Generally they're not hard-core--more of "Hey, I'll see how long I can do this before I get tired of it." And I like positive statements--"I'll eat two fruits and three vegetables every day" instead of "I'll stop eating the foods that are bad for me," or "I'll read from a book just for fun every day" instead of "I'll stop watching so much TV."

This year New Years snuck up on me, and I only had the presence of mind to make one resolution. I'm sure there are a lot of things that I'll change this year, but only one will be an official resolution.

Drumroll please...

My New Year's Resolution, thanks to my Yancer friends, is to floss my teeth daily.

Until now, I've not been a regular flosser. I had a brief relationship with flossing about this time last year (I can't remember if it was an official resolution or not). But Emily's mom says that people who floss live seven years longer than those who don't. That's as good a reason
to floss as any, I'd say.

That, and apparently Emily's dentist compliments her gums due to her faithful flossing. What girl among us wouldn't like another compliment, even if it is from the dentist once a year? Oh, and when I floss regularly, I've noticed that I can blow air through my front two teeth. Priceless. (I've been trying to squirt water through them, to no avail, other than to get myself pretty wet in the process.)

So, here in writing for the world to know it, I have begun to be a regular flosser. I've flossed two days in a row now, and shall do so again tonight. I bought Glide Comfort Plus Mint Floss today at the store. I'm a flosser, hopefully forever.

(Trivia Question: Does anyone have an opinion on whether you think flossing does any good if you floss right before bed and then put in your retainer for 8 hours?)

3 comments:

Gina said...

seven years?!?!

please excuse me while i go floss.


p.s. i think it would do a lot of good...seeing as your retainers tend to push your teeth together (i wear them too) and if you have stuff between your teeth...well you get what i am saying.

Nikki said...

seven years, huh? Maybe i'll floss more often.. I only have 3 containers of it in my second drawer inmy room and another at my bed stand.. odd places but otherwise it gets lost..
It does do a lot of good.. It saves your gums!

Gina said...

update: i actually have been flossing since reading this post. lol