Thursday, January 25, 2007

Why She's My Favorite

Callie is my favorite Grey's character.

She's my favorite because she tells the truth, bluntly, and without apology. She's a woman who speaks her mind, bosses people around, and stands up for herself. She demands, and most often receives, respect. She doesn't require that others like her, but she doesn't accept disrespect from them either.

She's my favorite because she has boobs and a butt and curves, but she's still a strong, sexy character on a popular TV show. That's wildly unique in our society that idolizes waif-thin women. (Sometimes I'm afraid Meredith Grey is going to shatter.)

She's my favorite because she chose to love George, and stuck by that choice. I think maybe that's my favorite thing about her. She liked him--she saw qualities in him that she knew she could fall in love with, that she admired and respected. So she chose him, she chose to love him, and she stuck by her decision, even when he didn't deserve it. For a time, she loved him even when he loved someone else and couldn't love her. She chose to love, and I think that's very good--romantic, even.

She's my favorite because tonight she cut a guy's legs open while he was awake, even though she'd never done it before. Frankly, it was freakin' gross.

She's my favorite because she dances in her underwear to "The Mating Game," which is a song I love. The girl can work it. That's cool.

She's my favorite because she does the things that scare her. Loving George scares her. You could see it in her eyes when he proposed tonight. (I gasped, but the breath caught in my throat, and I literally choked on air and couldn't breathe for a second.) I think she's going to say no, which I also think is a smart and yet scary thing. I mean, the man's father just died. Before that, he couldn't tell her he loved her. Five minutes ago he was in love with Meredith. Now he says he loves Callie, and proposes, all in one breath? C'mon. She's way too good for that. Anyway.

So I love Callie. She's my favorite. Well, until George or Izzy or Meredith or McDreamy appear on the screen. Then I waver. I'm really quite in love with them all.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, you should put spoiler alerts at the top for those of us who can't watch season three.

Still, I love her because she won a Tony award. She rocks my socks. Anyone who wins a Tony award is way cool in my book. But hey, I love musicals. I'm weird. Whatever.

Kim said...

Most definatly you need to give spoiler warnings. Cause we're watching them a few days later online cause it comes in better then our TV.
SPOILER from last week...
I still can't believe Addison was pregnant with Mark's baby and aborted?!?! And that they let George's Dad die, ok so I saw it coming I was just hopeful that they wouldn't do it :(

Nikki said...

may i third that?! I got to watch every minute of greys last night but 15 minutes. :(( It was keri, Liz and I. we all went for donuts and icecream and came back and decided to watch greys. :))

Katie said...

sorry guys. i was so flustered that i didn't even think of spoilers.

Gina said...

oh man thursday's episode was SO good...and two proposals in one night! but i think you're right, callie will say no. i also don't think chief is going to retire anymore. hmm...well we will just have to find out next episode!