Sunday, April 08, 2007

The Adventures of Late

Saturday, April 7, 2007.
The Sunmart/Muffin Adventure

10:38 p.m. I run into Sunmart and hastily grab a bag of whole wheat flour, in order to make cracked wheat muffins for the next morning's Easter breakfast potluck at church.

10:49 p.m. I rip open the flour bag (who decided to make those things child-proof, anyway?) and begin to measure out the whole wheat flour, spilling the white dust everywhere in the process. "Wait, white dust? Whole wheat flour is brown. What?! Unbleached white flour? Dang it!"

11:01 p.m. I run to the checkout at Sunmart with the last bag of whole wheat flour, which, in my defense, happened to have been the only one of its sort, and to be in the same stack as all the unbleached white flour, with a very similar-looking brown label. The cashier says to me, "You need another bag of flour?" (Small grocery store--they do say that Lincoln is the biggest small town in America. Case in point/side note: My friend Angela came with Kristina and I to church today. We've been attending for over a month now, and today was Angela's first time. She knew more people there than Kristina and I do, just from "around town.")

11:22 p.m. I realize that my muffins taste much better with applesauce than eggs. On top of that, we only have four eggs left, exactly the number I need, but no applesauce. Ben needs five eggs for the cheesecake he's making. Grumbling, I borrow Em's car and go fetch eggs and applesauce. On the way out, I duck my head and try not to make eye contact with the same flirty clerk who's probably laughing at my third trip to the store in an hour.

Sunday, April 8, 2007
The Easter Breakfast Adventure


9:53 a.m. Kristina and I sit in the car, too fearful to go into church with our offerings of muffins for the Easter potluck breakfast. We know no one, and don't see anyone carrying food inside.

10:02 a.m. We question what exactly it is we're afraid of (feeling awkward, no one talking to us, walking in with our muffins only to find that there's no potluck, walking in without our muffins only to find that there is, looking lost, being lonely, the plethera of cute boys there ignoring us) while still sitting in the car.

10:07 a.m. Still sitting, we almost decide to screw breakfast and go to the Mill for coffee. But Jesus gives us courage, so we leave the muffins in the car and walk in (seriously, no one else had food!). A lady greets us immediately with a huge canister of orange juice and says "C'mon down to Easter breakfast!"

10:09 a.m. Seriously good-looking boys offer to take our muffins off our hands and not share them, but graciously direct us to the kitchen instead. Kristina and I decide we weren't actually raised Christian, since apparently real Christian girls wear pretty, new dresses on Easter Sunday, and we wore jeans.

10:59 a.m. I'm saddened by the fact that the coffee is all gone, and it's just not a good Sunday morning without coffee for me these days.

12:20 a.m. What joy and praise and blessing! (For details on the happy, see last week's description of church.) Jesus knows our hearts. The two little lost girls, braving the grand adventure of a new church and Easter breakfast all alone, see that Jesus really knows their hearts: Angela, Ben, and Ashley, Leslie and Laura, and Sophia were all in church with us today. He helped us be brave to seek new community, and then gave us our old family to boot.

2 comments:

mrscamacho said...

You guys are hilarious! I'm glad you're coming to GC - it's a good place! You'll never get rejected there if you just reach out and say "hi." But you DO have to say hi, or "can we sit with you?" before you really see how wonderful and friendly people are.

Katie said...

Yeah, I feel a little foolish now... it really wouldn't have been very hard to say "can we sit with you." :)