Friday, June 20, 2008

Happy Solstice

Today is the longest day of the year. While Midsummer's Day is celebrated on June 24, today marks the most hours of daylight we will see in 2008. Today is my holy day, as it has been for millions of people around the world, most likely for as long as man has walked this mystical dirt. This day is light. If Midwinter's Night is my Christmas, this is my Easter and Fourth of July all rolled into one.

Today's extra-special to me because the sun enters my sign, Cancer. I was born on the cusp of my sign, which explains why these are emotional, tumultuous days for me (and why transitions in general tend to be significant).

A customer told me about the solstice today. I knew it was coming up, but I'd forgotten whether it was today or tomorrow. He said to me, "Today's the summer solstice. Today is the brightest day of the year. Today should bring nothing but happiness." He is right.

So while I'm tired today, and mildly melancholic as a result of working too much, I celebrate the light. I rejoice with an eye to what is to come. I acknowledge that the days from here until December 21 will be progressively shorter, and that I feel both the death and the life of the sun more acutely than most. But I celebrate with him, with the sun, today on his most glorious day. Tonight I will sit in his fading rays and rejoice with simple, ancient food and drink, and acknowledge the importance, the power, of the solstice.

May your solstice bring length to your days, bread to your table, and light to your soul.

A Summer Solstice Gift for you.

1 comment:

Peter said...

Similarly, today Beth-Anne Vanderlaan was married. What a day to have a wedding, eh?