Monday, June 09, 2008

New Shoes

The other day I spent $26 on new shoes. This is a big deal to me.

I had ten minutes to kill before my bus came, so I went into the Black Market, a trendy thrift store downtown. I stumbled upon a pair of black Rocket Dogs, shoes that I've heard are really comfortable, which is something that my feet and back will thank me for with the long days I'm working this week. And then I saw these:

That's right. Pink and green tweed All Stars. Shiny satin lining. Real suede brand-patch and leather on the toes. Quality stuff, these shoes. And in my size!

Just the other week I decided never to buy another pair of All Stars. Did you know that Converse is owned by Nike? Did you know that Nike kills babies? Seriously. Nike and Wal-Mart are children of the same mother, in my book. I dislike pretty much everything they stand for. Except while there is nothing attractive to me about Wal-Mart, Nike has ties to Trek, a brand I love, and makes All Stars.

Converse shoes are one of my guilty pleasures. They're so trendy that it makes me wrinkle my nose just how much I like them. I just think they're so freakin' good looking. They have "fun" written all over them. And you can get so many different styles and colors that they maintain some level of individuality in spite of their rampant popularity.

I now own two pairs, and both have been from thrift stores. This makes my owning them acceptable to me. It's like recycling, right? (Plus, they're so expensive--how can anyone afford to buy them new?) I still feel a slight amount of distaste over the sheer pleasure I get from wearing my green-and-pink tweed high-tops, which are essentially a cousin to $300 Air Jordans.

So I bought them, and the Rocket Dogs too. I'm going to put them on right now.

3 comments:

phil said...

I will admit to being a little bit curious about how Nike kills babies. I'm not doubtful curious, just curious curious. I just finished a book about fast food in America and the world. It made me mad and frustrated at being an ordinary citizen with little power to affect change outside my sphere of influence.

Conclusion: I think I'm moving to France, where public protests still kind of mean something.

But I ramble. I really just wanted to say how jealous I am of people with normal sized feet. And how they, with said feet, can pop in thrift stores and walk out with a pair of shoes (or two). Good on ya!

Cheers.

Anonymous said...

FYI- many Trek frames are made in China and Taiwan.

shelli said...

i love Rocket Dogs!! They are really cute and good for my wide-o feet. :)

About Nike... I'm taking an international business class that affectionately call ibiz... my teacher HATES Nike because of their business practices. He also hates tropicana (sp) and Tommy.