Thursday, June 19, 2008

Sigur Rós--beware of naked people!



Do you listen to Sigur Rós? If you don't, you should be. Sigur Rós is an Icelandic post-rock band that is quite possibly one of the greatest bands of our time, if you ask me. (That is, of course, completely subjective, and someone who knows music better than I do might tell you otherwise.) Give 'em a listen.

Last week I went to see them live. It's the most money I've spent to see a band in a good long time, if not ever. We had good seats, and it was a very decent show. Their blog later said it was the worst set they've ever played, which would explain why the show, which should have been life-altering, was just "good."

They have a new album coming out on Tuesday in the U.S., and I've already had it for a few days thanks to the wonders of stealing leaked music from the internet. It sounds very different from their other albums, most of which are unpronounceable and unspellable to me because they are in Icelandic. But I've been listening to it a lot and I really love it. The above video is the music video for "Gobbledigook," the first track on the new album. All the people in it are naked, so be warned. But it's definitely the most beautiful video I've ever seen. Lose yourself in its emotion. It is so joyful and free! I have watched it dozens of times, and don't get sick of it. It makes me want to be one of them--Icelandic, beautiful, naked, free, laughing, drumming, dancing, kissing, splashing, swimming.

I hope you like it too. The above version is pretty bad because they're doing a good job of keeping good versions off of YouTube (thanks, lenient Asian copyright enforcement!). So you should go here to see the good, real one for free, and for a free download of the MP3 too!

No comments: