Thursday, July 03, 2008

Wipe-out

Took my first fall on my bike tonight on the way home from work. Nothin' like wiping out at 10 p.m., in the dark, still a 25 minute ride from home, already exhausted from working a double. I'll spare you the sight of my road rash-ed elbow under the band-aids. Fortunately, all the other damaged places were covered by clothing, so everything else--my knee, hip, and ribs--is just swollen and bruised, not bloody. I have yet to get all the gravel out of my elbow, though.

I was getting too brave. I hit the railroad tracks on 8th St. a little too fast and a little too parallel. The bike went down on its side (haven't assessed the damage to Izzy [my bike] just yet) and we skidded a bit before I jumped to my feet, scrambled together all the odds and ends that had been in my bike basket, and dragged Izzy to the side of the road.

But I wussed out. At first I thought I'd be tough, get up, put the chain and my basket back on my bike, and keep going. When I realized I was beginning to drip (sorry--"eeewww," I know) on my favorite shirt, I stopped at my friend Katie's house a few blocks away to clean up. Then, as the adrenaline began to wear off and my elbow started stinging and my knee started swelling, I called my friend Eric for a ride home. I have to admit, as much as riding another four miles would have sucked, I wish I'd been tougher.

Everything hurts. But at least there weren't any cars coming.

4 comments:

mrscamacho said...

Might you consider wearing a helmet now that you realize you're not invincible?

Glad you're okay. Railroad tracks are the cyclist's nemesis!

Unknown said...

KATIE,
YOU DON'T WEAR A HELMET?!?!?! WHAT'S WRONG WITH YOU??? PUT A HELMET ON YOUR NOGGIN!!!!

As much as it's going to hurt you need to scrub asap and get that gravel out of your elbow or it is going to be in there permanently. Use whatever you have to: kitchen hose, garden hose, washcloth and tweezers, I've heard of people using SOS pads (don't know if I could do that). My sister has gravel in her hip that they were never able to get out.

Kristina said...

Oh Hon, sorry that happened. You are brave! Hope you're healing well. :0)

Peter said...

Actually gravel in the elbow can be becoming. Think of it as a free and three-dimensional tattoo. But if the tweezers don't work remember there's always steel wool!

(Ouch! Heal up quickly and completely, okay?)