Darned Blood Pressure!
How do you suppose one goes about raising their blood pressure?
When I give plasma, I'm lightheaded and nauseated and dizzy for like two days afterward. It's not life-altering, but it's really annoying. The worst of it is that going up stairs or riding my bike is so exhausting. I leapt out of bed this morning only to have to sit down on the floor until my vision came back. That's low blood pressure, right? I think mine's usually like 100/70 before I donate, so it'd make sense that it would be even lower after they take a jug of plasma out of me, don't you think?
I know most people have trouble with high blood pressure, but if you can do things to lower your blood pressure, there's gotta be something you can do to raise it, right? Eat lots of salt or something? Anyone know? (And yes, I eat food and drink tons of water before and after I give. Juice, even, which is a luxury I don't usually splurge on.)
Giving plasma is too lucrative to stop doing it, but it would be fantastic if I could get up from a chair without blacking out.



5 comments:
I think you have low blood sugar, not low blood pressure.
Really I'm not the person go to for any medical information. Except how to pronounce the words. I've had three years of practice pronouncing the words.
Anyhow.
To increase your blood pressure, I'd suggest drinking lots less water. Eating lots more salt. Eating less fiber. Eating only refined grains (like white bread) instead of whole grains. Smoking a pack a day. And lots of alcohol.
There ya go. Do these things in excess and you'll be well on your way to hypertension.
oh, and Anonymous, it could be either.
According to a random Web site I just found through Google: "Individuals with low blood pressure may sometimes develop non- specific symptoms of tiredness, sleep disturbances, giddiness, black-outs, fainting, anxiety/depression, or sweating, and may become more conscious of their heartbeats."
You could do it a little bit healthier with some supplements.
Vitamins B, C, and E are all good.
Herbs like Ginger, Gingo Baloba, Garlic or any other herbs that help circulation.
But going along with Ben, when I was severly anemic in France I had a few people tell me that all I needed was a glass of wine at night and I would be fine... the Doc put me I horse pill size iron. :)
I would have to say that going for a healthy-food route will help your body recover faster. I have the same issues after I donate blood- my blood pressure is normally only about 80/60 (i know, crazy). Try eating some granola or something else high-fiber, drinking orange juice and double your water intake, and having lots of pasta or other complex carbs. Also, treat yourself to a nap afterwards :)
i hope that helps!
Post a Comment