Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Peace Pays

I got paid for being peaceful!

I don't understand all of it, and don't have all the details, but last week I entered a Peace and Social Justice scholarship contest through Union's Humanities Division (and sponsored in some way by the Blake family). I wrote a two-page essay on my involvement and rationale for peace and justice. Today I got a letter in the mail saying I'd won!

Mr. Blake told me originally that the scholarship was in cash. Cash! $600 cash money! No strings attached! I was thrilled. The letter I got today, however, said that it goes on my school bill. So I don't know what that's all about. Either way, I'm pretty happy. If it is in cash, I'm going to use it to start my Prague fund. If it's not... well, I suppose I'll have to do at least two more medical studies if I hope to move to Europe in August.

Six hundred dollars. That's three months of giving plasma twice a week. Or three weeks of full-time employment (if you are me). Or a whole medical study. And all I had to do was write an essay about why I believe in peace! (You wanna read it? Here you go.)

3 comments:

mrscamacho said...

Woot! Good for you!

Kristina said...

woohoo! You are brilliant on so many levels!

Will you please send me the final copy? I'd love to read it. Or just post it. Either way.

Peter said...

oh yes, dear Katie. I read it as soon as you sent it. But I couldn't think of anything that I would have changed except for the personal style, which quite honestly would not have been an improvement. :) In other words, the $600 was well-earned. And just in case I haven't told you, EspaƱa was amazing.