Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Sex*

Today my religion teacher said that sex is a human function that is the results from our innate need to procreate.

While I do think that humans have an instinct to conceive children and propagate the species, I wonder if sex is really more about that than it is about fulfilling a desire for connection. If it were primarily about procreation, would we value monogamy as much? Wouldn't we feel less need to connect emotionally, mentally, and spiritually with our sexual partners?

What do you think? Is our sexuality based more on a need for procreation or a need for connection?

*Bet that title got you to read, didn't it?

2 comments:

mrscamacho said...

Sorry, but "It is not good for man to be alone" has a lot less to do with making children to hang out with than the act of getting laid.

Kids are great, but nothing beats the oneness of heart, soul, and mind that comes from melding with the one you love.
;)

Dan said...

I wouldn't know. But it seems to me that it would be the ultimate connection, the closest that two human beings can possibly be. That's why I'll wait until I'm so completely in love that I know it will never end.