Tuesday, July 24, 2007

Chris' Conversations

A couple of weeks ago I was lamenting to Ben that I was having trouble finding information for Campus Conversations, the campus newsletter that I edit and produce. I jokingly told him that Mr. Blake could fill a whole issue of C.C. on his own, but the rest of the faculty and staff must be having a pretty lazy summer, because I hadn't heard much of their activities. Mr. Blake happens to be my favorite professor, but it seems that he does more other things--as you'll soon read--than teach, most times.

Ben responded by saying that I should make an all-Blake issue of C.C. Seriously.

So I did. I re-created the Campus' Conversations format and I called it Chris' Conversations. The funny thing is that it is almost entirely written by Mr. Blake himself; I only had to change things from first to third person. He supplied all of the information either through submissions to the actual C.C., or through interviews I found digging around online. It had a heady distribution status of one copy, which Ashley graciously delivered for me to Mr. Blake himself. Check it out (you may have to click on it to actually read--hope it's big enough):
I found the whole affair to be fairly humorous, and had all but forgotten it until today, when I got the following e-mail:

Dear estimable editor,

I have perused the inaugural issue of Chris' Conversations and found the material bracing and revelatory, a gust of salutary, fresh air filled with echoes of Wordsworth, Salinger, Twain, and Moses (YJ). O rapture! O bliss! I look forward to future issues, including massive, up-to-the-minute coverage of Chris' disappointing fourth-place finish in the eighth-grade spelling bee.

Yours with a hint of truly,
J. C. Blake

I could get used to being called "estimable editor," don't you think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I can't decide which is my favorite part: Ben's quote or "mostly plagiarized by Katie Carlson". Anyway, thanks for the laugh. I also enjoyed the cases of fri-chik part and Mr. Blake's letter to the plagiarizer.