Kombucha-Making Adventure
In the past couple of months, thanks to Angela, I've been enjoying Kombucha Tea. Kombucha, for those of you too web-lazy to follow the link and read about it elsewhere, is a fermented tea beverage that has mythical/magical health-improving qualities in the far east, and has thousands of years of history.
People drink it because it's supposed to cure cancer, restore hair color, aid in weight loss, make your nails shiny, detoxify the liver, and provide a huge number of other non-FDA-verified health benefits.
I drink it 'cause it tastes yummy, and has a naturally slightly-carbonated tinge. Also, I suspect that at least some health benefit may occur, although I'm skeptical about the cancer-curing. On the other hand, it's $4 for a 16-oz bottle. Yowza. Needless to say, it is a rare and valued treat.
So I decided to start making my own. Kombucha is made with tea, sugar, and a kombucha culture, which they call a "mushroom." I got a starter kit complete with organic tea and cane sugar in addition to the culture for a pretty good deal, and bought a huge pickle jar at Goodwill. Nine or so days ago, I brewed up a big batch of tea, cooled it to room temperature, and plopped the "mushroom" into it, rubber-banding a paper towel to the top of the jar. Then I let it sit and ferment. I feel a bit like I'm brewing moonshine in my little ghetto ex-kitchen or something. There's a definite fermented, vinegary smell wafting through the apartment when the breeze is right.
Yesterday it was time to start trying the Kombucha to see if it is "ripe," for lack of a better word. I got a little chickened out, it being my first time. They say that if you move the culture, it will start forming it's own new "baby" culture all over again (it forms a new baby every time, so you always have plenty of culture to make your next batch). So once I moved it to try the Kombucha to see if it was ready, I just decided to be done with the whole deal, collect this batch, and start the next. Later, after drinking more than just a sip of the brew, I think I should have left it longer. It's quite tart, and I think it's supposed to sweeten with time. (That doesn't make any sense to me, since the yeast cultures in the kombucha mushroom are supposedly eating away at the sugar in the liquid, which is what causes the fermenting reaction. So if it's eating the sugar, why would it become more sweet with time?) I probably should have left it another few days.
But I saved liquid from the first batch to use as a starter for the next one, and my culture is huge and mushroomy and looking ready to start it's work over again. Not that I know what a "ready" kombucha culture looks like--it's just a gut feeling.
The Kombucha, like I said, is very sour. Too sour and vinegary for my liking. But I bottled it, and find that if I mix it in equal parts with some freshly-brewed sun tea, it's quite tasty. I'm going to start my next batch today, and leave it longer this time, to see if it settles down a bit. I'm a little worried about my culture; the jar's a bit small for it, so it's not a nice, even circle, but rather blobby.
I feel that my Kombucha-making-adventure could be my first step into sustainability. If I can make my own tea, and my own Kombucha tea, I shouldn't have much need for any other sort of drink. Perhaps one day I can delve into making yogurt and cheese, and even tofu. That would be a good thing.



5 comments:
My mom makes her own yogurt with a yogurt-making device. But when it's really hot outside, she lets it sit on the porch in the sun until it cures. I think this is disgusting. I saw Ashley make her own yogurt in the oven when we were there last April and I also thought that was disgusting. But go ahead! I'm sure you'll enjoy it. :)
Well now that I'm planning on heading to Wegman's after work tonight I am going to look for this tea and try it.
Andrew just ordered yogurt & cheese culture again for me. I ran out of cheese culture and the yogurt I have been doing by using samples from store bought yogurt, which by the way most of the common brands DO NOT have active culture as the two popular brands I tried never turned to yogurt. The organic, local farms yogurt did turn my milk to a very nice yogurt. :) I've also make a couple batches of chevre & feta. I think you should come do an "internship" at the farm :)I'll teach you the cheese stuff & you teach me the tea thing.
Oooh, I'm totally in on that internship, Kim. Too bad I'm so far away. :( Maybe over Christmas. My friend Ashley has been making her own yogurt and it intrigues me. I do eat yogurt (when it's on sale), so that may be my next step. I'm a little intimidated by delving too far into it without a more proper kitchen. And I don't know that you'll find Kombucha at your Wegman's. More likely there than many groceries, but I have to go to the local co-op grocery or a little local coffee shop to get it. I recommend the GTS or Synergy (I think they're the same) brand, although Kombucha WonderDrink is also good.
Carissa, you're funny! However do you think people made food before, well, today? There is a fine line between curdling (in a bad way) and curing things, I'll give you that. Just as with my Kombucha, there's a fine line between fermenting and molding, I think.
You are awesome. I can't wait to try it!
Yay Katie! Did I tell you that Barbara Kingsolver makes cheese in Animal, Vegetable, Miracle? I'd like to make that jump somdtime.
Post a Comment