Monday, July 16, 2007

What Does "Shucking" Mean to You?

I spent the day downtown for work, soliciting businesses for gift cards to use as prize incentives for Phonathon.

Highlight: Maggie's for lunch.

Lowlight: It was 95 degrees today. I took the bus downtown at 9 a.m., and proceeded to walk all around down town until 3:30 p.m. I think I got a little heat exhaustion, and I definitely got a bit sunburned.

Highlight: Finding Converse sneakers at the Black Market for ten bucks. They're a little worn, and definitely not the ones I've been eyeing, but they were ten bucks! As opposed to 60!

Lowlight: Realizing on the bus on the way home that I probably shouldn't have bought a shirt that says "Nebraska: A great shucking state!" It has corn on it. When I tried it on, any vaguely dirty/inappropriate/vulgur implications of such a phrase totally went over my head. I'm still not quite certain how or why it may be bad, but I'm a little afraid to wear it in public.

Highlight: I got my Ride for Five bus pass--the one good thing about being poor is you get a low-income bus pass for $5! And I picked up both my July and August passes! I got them on 'O' Street at the Senior Center (they don't see many of my kind in there, I could tell). The lady asked to see my proof of income to verify that I qualified; when I handed her my pay stub, she raised her eyebrows and said "Well..." in a high voice before giving me a little smile and continuing, "Of course, we'll get you one of these right away, dear..."

4 comments:

Carissa said...

What kind of store did you buy the Nebraska shirt from? Hmm. Even though, when I first saw your title, I thought "corn!", (where do I put the comma??) the word "shucking" just sounds too close to another word...

Angela said...

yea! good job on riding the bus! and for so cheap! i'm so sorry about all the exclamation points. i guess i'm just excited to hear about you and familiar places like 'downtown' and 'the black market.'

i miss you.

i think the t-shirt is safe to wear around the house, but, yes, beware in public.

Daniel said...

Tag. You're it. (read my blog to find out more)

mrscamacho said...

I have that shirt! Mine is blue. My best friend gave it to me when she found out we were moving here.

I only really wear it to do yard work.

But mainly because it's a bit too large.

Wear that shucking shirt with pride, sister!