The Missing Camp Blues
My sister called me from camp.
She told me a story about how, the other day, she sat on the golf cart for 45 minutes with Wendy, just talking.
And it was rather a long story, with a lot of parts, all of them with hanging out with Wendy in some form or another, and from the very beginning until the very end of her tale, tears coursed down my cheeks.
After we hung up, I sobbed a bit, shmeared my mascara all over my face, cleaned myself up, and went to see Harry Potter with Ben and Leslie at the theater.
I haven't cried over camp much this summer. Maybe once or twice. (Last summer it was once or twice a day.) But today I felt emptier than I've felt in a long time, with this hollow feeling in my stomach and the pressure of tears behind my eyes--all afternoon and evening.
I've always felt that I'm never more myself (or a better version of myself) than I am at camp. Where did my assurance that this would be okay go off to?



4 comments:
I'm glad I will see you for lunch so I can give you a hug. Trying to type out a hug here just isn't adequate or satisfying.
i'm crap. i feel absolutely horrible for making you cry.
we miss you. mucho love.
i was coming here to tell you that i will lease you some plants (i will give you some too) but i'm also sorry that you miss camp. i understand the feeling...i will let you know soon.
I miss wendy... period! Wendy, if you're out there, i MISS YOU!!!! i didn't get much further than the sitting and talking for 45 min. part. i wish so badly i could be working for Wendy this year. Wendy, I MISS YOU
Post a Comment