Saturday, March 25, 2006

Crossing the Crazy Line (with Harley socks and God)

The line between "fan" and "stalker" is a fine one.

I have a tendancy toward fandom of bands and the occasional sports star. But I've always stayed far from the "stalker" line, because those
crazy-fanatical-stalker-fan types really wierd me out.

Famous people are just people, after all. And my admiration of them is more in respects to the
impact they've had on my life than in their fame.

But tonight, I risked crossing the line.
My favorite band, as many of you know (and in explaination for Kristina) is the David Crowder*Band. God has really used their music to uplift me and bring me closer to Him. I listen to them constantly. I spent a month and a half's pay
(granted, I don't get paid much) to go to a concert that they opened for tonight. I joined MySpace just so I could subscribe to their blog. I read the DC*B blog, written by their violinist, Hogan, regularly. It makes me feel like I'm caring about them more as people than as famous people, and I like that. A couple of months ago, when they first started their "Wherever You Are" tour with Third Day, Hogan wrote about running out of socks (as a college student, I can vouch for this being a truly sad part of being away from home). He was especially glum about getting holes in his favorite Harley Davidson socks. Thus, he implored help from his loyal fans. He asked them to bring him Harley socks to concerts.

And weeks passed. The other day, he once again mentioned that he couldn't find Harley socks anywhere. Much to my shock, no crazy fans had gotten him any.

And again to my shock, I wanted to get him Harley socks. I like to get people things that they want. And the guys seemed to be having a kind of rough tour this time around. So I caved. I waffled awhile, but I bought two pairs of Harley socks on Ebay and had them overnighted to me. They came this afternoon.

I felt like one of the crazies. I hid the socks in my purse, thinking that I'd find some way to distract the guys I was with tonight and chuck them onto the stage (to avoid being made fun of for the rest of eternity for buying a famous guy some socks.) I figured (as I'm used to the crazy Youth Specialties fans) that there'd be a mosh pit of sorts right next to the stage, and I'd have to battle my way through.

The concert tonight was definately no Youth Specialties. I'm not used to being the most enthusiastic fan in the crowd. I am Adventist, after all. Everyone stayed in their seats (good thing we had 8th row!) and the energy just wasn't what I'd hoped. DC*B played awesomely, although I wish they could've done more songs. Valiant effort by the guys to rock even with a lower-energy crowd. These guys have played their share of packed arenas. I felt bad that Nebraskans hardly got off their feet for them.

[Side note: I saw three ladies in my direct viscinity who had kleenex stuffed in their ears throughout the whole concert. If you're spending $35+ to see DC*B and Third Day, why the heck were you hoping for peace and quiet? These guys are madeto be loud!]

So now the story begins. During intermission, I was thinking it may be my last chance to figure out a way to get Hogan his socks. Tossing them onstage wasn't an option from that far back. I mentioned something about maybe going up to see if I could meet one of the band, and Jeremy assured me that a "bouncer" would make sure I didn't get near them.

That's when I saw Solley onstage clearing up some of their equipment. I got up, made my way to the stage (pulling the socks from my purse) and got his attention. He, in turn, got Hogan's attention.

The man was thrilled. "You're the first one!!" he said. "You just made my whole night!" It was the coolest thing. I never knew how happy a couple of pairs of socks could make a person. I'd forgotten how nice it was to absolutely make someone's day. (That's truly what I love to do. Took me long enough to figure out that I should be a PR major though!?) So I talked to him for a few minutes, got him and Solley to sign my iPod (way cool!), and headed back to my seat with shakey calf muscles, which was probablya combination of excitement and the jumping that had just taken place during "Sing Like the Saved."

Since I'd originally thought I'd be throwing the socks on the stage, I'd stuck a notecard
(it's in the picture too!) into one with my e-mail address. When I got back to my room tonight, I had an e-mail from Hogan:

Thanks for the socks... seriously! Awesome.
Hope you enjoyed the show.
-hogan

[Note: That picture to the right is of Hogan at roughly the same time that he e-mailed me. Pathetic, I know, but I read another blog of a Youth Specialties guy who happens to be on tour with them. He posted this picture of Hogan while Third Day was playing last night. How wild is that?]

Then, better yet, I went on their MySpace, and found this awesome post.

I'm afraid I may have crossed the crazy line, because this really made my whole night. Actually probably my whole week.

I really love people. I love the things that make them real, and I love knowing that I gave back just a little bit to one of the guys in the band that God has used to incredibly touch my life. There have been days that the David Crowder*Band's music has been the thread connecting me to God, and days that I'm so filled with Him that I use their words to praise Him when my words aren't good enough. They've been the leaders of the
most meaningful worship I've ever experienced. They've brought me hope and made me think. (I even listen to their newest CD when I run, it has a perfect beat for my pace!)

Tonight reset my priorities. Christian concerts always do; I'm so incredibly inspired and changed and moved by music--especially this music! It was the perfect mix of worship and renewal and reprioritizing. God reminded me that He's taking care of all the stuff I'm worried about. Because He's Number One with me, and that's all that matters.

I gave a guy some socks tonight. And those socks made his night. But God used them to remind me what's important--loving on other people for Him.

I think I'm down with being one of the crazies for Jesus.

(Side note: DC*B are the worship leaders at a church called UBC in Waco, Texas. I've been wanting for a while to take a weekend road trip to go to their church when they're there. I've found another friend to go, and we'll take care of gas... anybody got a car they'd like to take a vacation to Texas with? I've always wanted to go to Texas, so it'd be a multi-purpose trip. C'mon, guys, it'd be so fun! Any takers?)




8 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is so amazing. I am so happy for you and that you were able to brighten someones day and still enjoy yourself immensely. Thanks again for the thought for the middle of the night. Have a good night and see you in the morning or right now as we get ready for bed.

Kim said...

That's way too cool Katie. I'm glad you were able to go and that you were able to do that. Yes, there is a thin line, but I think you are just teetering on it :)
I think it's amazing how just the little things we can do for someone can brighten up their day.

Emily said...

agh! that is so amazing. i'm super jealous. sounds like you had great time at the concert. you should have left a crowder voicemail for me.

so you're kinda stalker like, but kinda not. since it's only socks...
hogan blogged about you. that's pretty cool. you're now famous. well, in the DCB fan world. haha.
later sis. I'll have to give you the downlow later on the craaazzyyy tour from hell that i had (am having).

Katie said...

Em, I called home (I'd forgotten you were on tour) during "You Are My Joy" and dad answered. I just kept yelling "Emily" into the phone thinking he'd get you and then held it up to the music. We were eighth row. It was LOUD. Mom told me today that she was afraid something bad was happening because it sounded like devil music. You know her and her issues with beat.

Totally would have left you a voice mail, but I don't have your cell number memorized. Sorry.

Emily said...

it's ok. i forgive. btw, nice crowder picture! wonder who took and edited that? :)

i'll talk to you later. even tho we got back last nite, i have to go do another AA show today at 1:30 in Allentown.

Kristina said...

Katie,

This is totally cool. Thanks for sharing. There's nothing like making someone's day. Keep up the encouragement. :0)

Good luck with this week!

Greg said...

awesome! Thanks for the reminder of what life is all about. Love you.

Greg said...

ps. After looking at their myspace blog, you're right, there are some crazies out there.