Wednesday, March 22, 2006

impossible

When I headed back to Union from spring break, I packed up my trusty new/used Giro helmet in my suitcase. When it went into the bag, my family described it as "orangy-yellow" and "puke orange." When they were being nice, they said "goldenrod." It was pretty ugly. I looked on the bright side. It was free, and I'd never get hit by a car.

When I removed the helmet from my suitcase 24 hours later, it was bright yellow. It perfectly matches my livestrong wristband. It is no longer ugly--in fact, I really like the color now. My friends all verified that the helmet is definately a good yellow, and not ugly.

What happened? Tell me, smart readers, can a helmet change color from the cold or change in pressure?

I'm so perplexed!

3 comments:

Nikki said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Nikki said...

Well.. it could be because of the change of lighting in the atomosphere around you. Did you know that there is such a thing as light pollution?? But anyway, the light from more cityish areas 'penetrates' into the country sky as well, which could have an effect on the appearance(color) of your helmet. "Light reflects off moisture and dust in the air, creating "sky glow," " For example, like people who have grey eyes, their eyes change color according to the color they're wearing or the most common color around them. It's kinda hard to explain.. a color being as absorbant as that one, that COULD be the reason! Just a theory... I think i'll stick that theory too.. ;)
love yas!

Emily said...

to be specific, it was "the color of Rufus's puke that I had to clean up this morning." that was my comment, as well as the more happy "goldenrod".

i know i talked to you this morning, but call me again if you get a chance, k? i want to talk to you about... college!

-your loving (and rather handy with verbiage) sister