Saturday, May 13, 2006

10 Reasons to Become a Lincolnite!

It has come to my attention that there are some very cool people out there who are considering moving to Lincoln next school year. My opinion on this subject is unabashedly biased, but I present the following list regardless.

Ten Reasons YOU Should Become a Lincolnite!

10. Freaking awesome bike trails. Lincoln really has the best bike trails for walking, running, biking, whatever. You can go for hours and there are sections that are totally un-city-like. This alone is worth living in Lincoln!

9. SuperSaver. SuperSaver is a shopping experience like none other. Not only is it the cheapest grocery store around, but the shopping itself isn't half bad. Their flower department is amazing. You can go into their walk-in cooler and pick out whatever single flowers you want and make them into your own bouquet. If you get Greg Okimi to do it for you, your bouquet will look like a million bucks. As a bonus, SuperSaver has really super giant yellow grocery bags that work perfectly for trash bags (I always double bag for this very reason). But my favorite thing about SuperSaver? It's an excellent choice for playing the Wal-Mart game.

8. SquirrelDance Film Festival. For those of you who don't know (although those for whom this post is intended no doubt are already enlightened), SquirrelDance is Union's very own film festival. This year was quite good. The five-minute films were creative, original, and highly entertaining. One had me convinced that I'll never go to Holmes Lake again.

7. Holmes Lake. Whether you run, walk, bike, fish, sled, ice skate, go birding, picnic, or like to plunge into icy water at midnight--Holmes is a pretty happenin' spot. I must say that Holmes Lake might just be my favorite spot in town. I love the country, but a perk of living in the city is the parks. Holmes has nice trails around the lake complete with picturesque bridges and manicured grass.

6. The Mill. A cozy winter's evening with a hot cup of coffee or tea (or Italian soda for my roomie)... Mmm mmm yummy.

5. Union Makes Better Lovers. 'Nuff said.

4. Food. Whether you fancy the Tan Door, or Bagels and Joe, or Coldstone Creamery, or Red Robin, or Noodles and Co., Lincoln's got all you could ever want in places to eat out, and more.

3. There's a house on Myrtle Street awaiting your presence. It has a really nifty garden. There are fun people who live there. On top of being fun, they also happen to love you. The Myrtle Street House is a place where parties are had, games are played, scrumptious food is prepared and shared, songs are sung, pranks are played, and many other wonderful things happen.

2. Union College in Lincoln Nebraska (You wanna go back to Union again, the college in the west!) I really don't even have to tell you anything about Union. It's beyond-words-wonderful. It's friendly, and wonderful, and Godly, and wonderful, and fun, and wonderful, and loving, and wonderful. And somewhere in there most of us manage to learn things. We have extreme dodgeball tournaments. We have bachelor auctions. I believe these things are new things that your lives would not be complete without experiencing. We also have the old standby favorites like Almost Anything Goes, V2, the International Food Fair, Project Impact (25 this year, it's a big deal I hear!), and many other cool things.

1. Your friends miss you terribly and want you to come home. How 'bout if we say please?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're speaking to just me, aren't you....???

Oh boy. What's a person to do with all these wonderful reasons to come to Lincoln? :) It's the place to be, I take it.

Thanks so much for this list. I've been looking at it over and over, ever since you posted it. Big smiles were brought to face, by the way. Now, eh, this here list may just make the difference. :) (You're probably about to kill me. I know. You've tried everything by now and I've noticed! Believe you me!)

lady be good said...

i'm convinced! but darn, i graduate this year. am i too old to play dodge ball? :D