Day One
Today was my first day of my very first "real job." By "real job" I mean "non-Adventist job." I'm working at Spokes Bike Shop doing cashier and office work, sales, event planning, product ordering, stocking, and pretty much whatever else they ask me to do. I like the sales part the best so far.
I only worked seven hours today, but by the time I got home, I was pretty beat. I've decided that seven hours is a long time to stand up, and even longer to be constantly learning new things. They've already got me checking out customers, which is good. The computer system is quite the process to learn. Training in at the TLC seems like a walk in the park now. I learned how to place orders, check inventory, do sales and returns and layaways...
The other new kid's training consisted of, "Here, put this bike together." It was one of those moments where I was a little bit wishing I wasn't a girl. Although the kid does race mountain bikes, so I 'spose he knows his stuff. He's only a sophomore in high school and he races mountain bikes. Crazy, eh?
The perks are that the people there are really nice. (The naive SDA side of me gets a laugh out of their language and easy references to beer, like I know what they're talking about.) They're understanding and laid back and just so customer-oriented. I love that. Except when I'm concentrating so hard on learning that it's hard to remember to be as bubbly as they are. Also, I get a 35% employee discount. There are bike shorts and a tire pump in my future. Possibly clipless pedals and shoes, too.
I think I could be really good at this job. It kinda sucks that I only have three more weeks there. I think I'd like retail, at least in a little home-grown store like that.
One exciting thing is that we have a fairly substancial cycling race, the Reading Classic, coming up in Reading in a couple of weeks. It's the second leg of the Pennsylvania Triple Crown; the final leg, the Philadelphia race, is America's top road race, evidently. Lance Armstrong won the triple crown there in 1993. Spokes may be a primary sponsor of the Reading event, in fact, so we have at least one and maybe two booths there. I'm really hoping that they let me go help man the booths. I think they will. This is a HUGE deal for this area, and for pro cycling in general, actually. It's a pro race, with smaller novice races occuring the same day, and there will be 500 riders from like, 20 countries or something. It's pretty wild, and the cycling crowd around here are pretty stoked that cycling is finally gaining some attention. Although it still won't be on TV, at least the local sports radio station is devoting the whole day to it.
I took my bike out after work. I'm not sure if it was because I was so tired or what, but I've decided I really hate these Pennsylvania hills and roads. I have to ride practically in the middle of the road to avoid the horrible potholes and rocky shoulders. That's super-dangerous on these windy, hilly country roads. It killed me. All I could do when I got back after only 2 miles or so was sit in a chair and stare at the wall.
And that's the news from the new job. I have an eleven hour day each tomorrow and Friday, and considering how today hammered me, I'm thinking that I'd better have a game plan for tomorrow. More water, more regular food, better shoes, and maybe some caffeine. :)



3 comments:
But no Amp! :)
I'm so excited for you and jealous. Sometimes I get sick of having a real job and just want to go get a fun summer job like at a bike shop (wouldn't it be awesome to work for Jim), or go back to camp, or landscape, or travel around doing triathlons, or travel around and do horse shows or rodeos.
Guess that means you won't be doing any centuries here in PA anytime soon ;)? There's some good ones down here in So. Central PA.
Remember, though, hills make you stronger ... headwinds just make you mean ...
Post a Comment