Friday, May 05, 2006

God Brought Me a Present

I have really great friends. I'm one lucky girl--I have this whole group of friends who are like my big extended Nebraska Family. We have a mom (Mel) and a dad (Greg) and we even have family get-togethers on holidays. Mom and Dad even hid eggs for us kids on Easter.

I love my family lots and lots. But the one disappointment I'd had this year was that I hadn't really made any new friends. Other than a few add-ons to the people I'd known from high school and camp, all of my "group" are pretty much old buddies. And while old friends really are the best kind, new friends are pretty rockin' too, and I've kinda been wishing I'd taken advantage of being new here this year and made a bunch of new friends, too.

Just as I'd started thinking about this and talking to God about it, He worked it all out. I didn't ask Him for new friends; I kinda figured it was a little late in the year for that. And asking for new friends makes me feel like I don't appreciate the ones He's already given me. But He sent one my way anyway.

We've hung out a few times now, and she brings variety to my life. She makes me think and challenges me emotionally and spiritually. And she's fun, and makes me laugh. Plus, she has an appreciation for celebrating completed exams with ice cream. She likes to ride bikes and knows the bike trails around here much better than I do. And when she asks you how you are, she really means it. These are things I appreciate in a friend.

God is so good at loving on me. It really awes me that He would think to bring me a present that He knows I need and will enjoy, and its all wrapped up as this package called a friend.

1 comment:

Nikki said...

:)) love you babes!