The End of Television As We Know It
Some of you may know that I'm a decidedly incurable Alias addict. The condition is chronic--in spite of the show's ridiculous decline in quality over the past couple of seasons, I have seen every single episode of its five-season run. I own seasons 2 and 3 on DVD and definately need to acquire season 1 sometime soon. I'm holding out for a price drop after the show's finale.
This season has sucked to the point that in mid-season, it disappeared for several months. Even I didn't miss it. It returned a few weeks back in somewhat of a resurrection--it appears that they've brought back the real Alias for the last few episodes. I've actually been interested in the last several episodes. A few have kept me on the edge of my seat, and it's been quite entertaining once more (with the exception of Nadia's death scene--the glass shard protruding from her neck in day-time-soap-fashion actually caused me to yell "This show totally sucks!").
Last week was the much-anticipated return of Michael Vartan (as Vaughn) to the show. Aside from Syd, Vaughn was my favorite character (stubble, dimples, and nice teeth always help these things), although I also enjoyed Sark, Francie, and Will, but they took them off a long time ago. Being a closet romantic, I was especially looking forward to this episode. It intrigues me that prior to and during Vartan and Garner's real-life relationship, there was electric chemistry to that on-screen relationship. Once Bennifer (or whatever the heck the media has nicknamed the Affleck-Garner relationship) happened, it was utterly unbelievable, totally felt fake. But I digress.
Come Wednesday night last week, having just finished my last final, I left our family good-bye party in time for Alias' 7:00 start. I returned to my room only to realize that I'd already taken my TV to storage. Dang it! I called my dad and asked him to tape it at home... only to find out that we didn't have any blank VHS tapes in the house. We're not technological enough around here to be a TiVo family just yet (or proabably ever).
So I missed Alias. I was sad. Not devastated, as I might have been two seasons ago. But slightly disappointed. The sadness has crossed my mind a few times this week. If you miss one Alias episode, you're pretty much lost. I wondered if I'd have a clue what was going on next Wednesday.
(If you watch Alias, this picture will make you laugh. I laughed anyway. It just so utterly sums up the entire show, as does this post.)
But I got over it. Until today, when I was surfing iTunes. I searched for "Alias" thinking that they might have a soundtrack (I really like the Coldplay song "God Put a Smile Upon Your Face" from season 2). No soundtrack. But they have all of seasons 4 and 5 on iTunes for purchase! You can watch any of those episodes on your computer, as many times as you want, for $2! Crazy! And if you have a snazzy video iPod (I don't) you can watch them anywhere!
I didn't know the name of the episode I'd missed, so I went to ABC.com to find out. Here I discovered further joy. You can watch any of season 5's episodes of Alias (other shows too!) on their website for FREE! (I think it's a limited time thing, so get there quick!) Amazing! Unfortunately my internet was too slow so I wound up buying it on iTunes anyway, but still, this is a ridiculously cool thing!
If you had unlimited funds, you could never watch television again. I knew VHS was outdated, but this changes everything. No more will I worry about scheduling my life around a show. (Sad that this ever took place, but it did. Only for Alias and Grey's Anatomy.)
Furthermore, the Alias episode was pretty good. Very "new-Alias" style in the fact that people never survive for more than two episodes. Irina--disappeared. Nadia--dead, although she's coming back to haunt Sloan, so they're still paying the actor. This surprised me as usually it's been working the other way around, such as with Anna Espinoza, who did not die but instead transformed into a Syd double, allowing them to discontinue the bankrolling of the actor who plays Anna. But now she's dead too. My hopes are not high for Vaughn. And Sark is back, albeit briefly, which is also surprising.
The season finale of Grey's Anatomy is tonight.
If you haven't jumped on the bandwagon yet, this is a truly good show, perhaps nearing early-Alias quality. It left me on the edge of my seat last night, very thankful that the finale was only 24 hours away. You should tune in.
Yes, I'll readily agree with you that my life being reduced to television is a sad, sad thing. No worries--I start work Wednesday so I'll have something to occupy myself with once again.



4 comments:
I get no reception on my T.V. And I'm not advanced enough to do anything with iTunes, so I read recaps at television without pity. They're pretty funny. It keeps me going... twoevilmonks.org used to have very good recaps with pictures, alas, they don't post anymore. I'm a little bitter about it, but whatever...
I love those two shows, as they are one of the only things I watch, I'm seriously considering cancelling cable for the summmer. A) save a few bucks
B) get me out doing other things instead of mindlessly channel surfing
yes! i love vaughn! (even though i havent watched alias in forever) oh, and i read ben's blog...that was hilarious. apparently since i've stopped watching alias it's turned into days of our lives with explosions.
i watched grey's anatomy once and loved it, but due to the fact that it comes on at 10pm sunday nights i never get to watch it. :(
did you get to watch the gilmore girls season finale on tuesday? (wait was that you that watches it? idk) all i have to say is: wow.
oh the drama...
Alias makes me think of Phil....i'm sadly thinking of phil cause he's no longer here at the UAP. This morning we said our farwells as he jumped on the bus for Buenos Aires. You'll have him in the good old US of A soon.
tear, tear, and a stream of tears...
Post a Comment