Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Beyond Eyes


It's crazy the little things that can totally make your day.

It wasn't a bad day, not at all. I worked extra, and was actually productive through the whole stretch. My first class got canceled. I spent a good portion of the day deeply engrossed in a really excellent book. But I was feeling a little off--a little lonely--a bit tired and headache-y. Nothing to speak of, just a little hollow.


And it took the such a small thing to give me just the pick-me-up I needed. I stopped and chatted with an acquaintance on my way out of work. We talked for a bit, but his next words took me by surprise.

"You have the most beautiful eyes," he said. "I've never noticed it before, but your eyes are just beautiful."

It was a spontaneous and sincere compliment. He wasn't being flirtatious, which was good, because I wasn't really in the mood for that. What struck me the most, though, was this. I happened to know that this man has been going through a pretty rough time lately. It's so easy for us to only see ourselves when we're breaking inside. Here I was, knowing that he needed encouragement far more than I, and
he was the one handing out happiness. His simple, kind words really made my day.

I wish that I was half as others-minded as he was today, and is on a regular basis. I wonder how many people are walking around behind a facade of contentment, needing little more than for someone to look into their eyes and actually see them.

I want to be that someone.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree, you do have beautiful eyes. You always amaze me. You always seem to find a life lesson on almost every block. Thats really cool. I appreciate that thought though. I hope that I can be that someone also. Hope you have a great day tomorrow or today since I am posting at almost 4 a.m.

Katie said...

You already are that someone too, silly. You're one of the least selfish people I know, "A." Hey, whatdya know, maybe I'll actually SEE you today. Ya think?

Anonymous said...

I can be selfish at times...Yeah I hope we will actually see each other for more than five minutes today. Thanks for the chuckle. So what are we going to do today? Do we have time to watch a movie? You know I could really just ask you all of this since we are in the room at the moment. But I am getting a kick writing to you instead. Have a good day and talk to you in 2 secs.