Monday, November 27, 2006

Kyrie Eleison

Marko, in his talk during the final General Session at YS, mentioned a prayer. I wrote it down because I thought it was so pretty, but I've no idea what the significance was to what he spoke about.

I came across it again today in my notebook, and began praying it off and on throughout the day.

Lord Jesus Christ
Son of God
have mercy on me
a sinner.

I really like it. Every so often today--while I'm bored in class, or walking back to the dorm, or brushing my teeth--I've closed my eyes. I breathe slowly in--Lord Jesus Christ--and then out--Son of God--and in again--have mercy on me--and out--a sinner...

It's a nice way to slow down, calm myself, and take a moment in my frenzied day to ask God to be a part of me.

Tonight I was browsing through music on Ben's computer and found a song by Leigh Nash called "Kyrie Eleison." The words are exactly the ones I've been praying all day.

Apparently kyrie eleison is Greek for "Lord have mercy," and thus is the title of that particular prayer. It's used in Catholic mass and is an important prayer of Christian liturgy. Funny--I've been a Christian my entire life, and have never heard those words, that I can recall.

There's something mystical and transcendent about repeating words that, in one language or another, have been prayed by thousands of Christians before me. They're only a few words. But they're so simple, and so beautiful.

And it's so simple, and so beautiful, that God would reach out to me like this today.

I wrote those words down somewhat randomly. I stumbled upon them today while bored in English class. I pondered them all day long. I didn't mean to go to Ben's house tonight--in fact I meant not to--but I found myself there. And then I found the song, and played it.

And heard those words, from God's heart to mine and back again.

3 comments:

Kim said...

As soon as I read those words it brought back memories of Mass (I know them in French) and in English from going to the Anglican Church with Deb.
You might be interested in checking out other churches (not saying to go off and join them) but it is really interesting to see how other church services are constructed.

Tammie said...

If you get a chance, you might like the chapter in Tony Jones' book, The Sacred Way that talks about this prayer. He calls it the Jesus prayer and really sets it in history and practice.

Katie said...

Whoa, Tammie, you're right on! Marko from YS just e-mailed me that same book suggestion today.

Maybe I should say God's right on--this may be a hint!