Still in the Club
One of the things that really bothered me leading up to Youth Specialties this year, and during the convention itself, was that I didn't feel as though I had a right to be there anymore.
Youth ministry used to be huge to me. I spent my summers for 8 years dedicating my life to young people at summer camp. I was obsessed with camp. Tonight I described it to a friend as one of the major defining factors of my life. Camp, after God, was the thing that I loved best.
Due to a rocky summer last summer, I've been fairly certain that camp is over for me. (Although I've realized lately that since I didn't consult God on that, and just made the assumption that I was done, I could very well be wrong.) So a little, loud voice in my head kept telling me that between that and dropping my youth ministry minor, I no longer had any right to consider myself part of the "club."
I thought my ministry was over. I thought that maybe my ministry would be just going about my life with a smile on my face, being a good person and loving God quietly. Satan had me convinced that I was done with youth work. God used e-mails and talks with Marko and Wendy to change my mind.
So in case I forget, here it is for the world:
I do not believe that God wants me to love Him quietly. And regardless of what He calls me to do with my life, this summer or forever, I'm not done with youth ministry.
Do you know how I know?
Peter Christian.
Gina Blades.
Dan Wagner.
Sancha Richards.
Cody McCabe.
But I love those kids. Those six names? They're the names of my kids. I pray for them. I listen to them. I worry over them, and I hurt for them when they're hurting. They make me laugh and cry and think and rejoice. I don't talk to them every week, or even every month, but I love 'em.
They're my youth ministry. I'm still in the club, and I'm so glad that God reminded me.



4 comments:
btw, i just wanted to say sorry for what i said the other day. although i meant it, it was out of context and i didn't mean it in the way that i said it and you obviously took it. i wanted you to have a chance to cool off before i said anything. so yeah, so completely and totally sorry. you're definitely still in the club. i never doubted you for a moment.
remember...
I will rise above
I will live for love
I will answer to the call
For the bond between
For the depth unseen
For my God forsake it all
'Cause I'm a fire
I'm a flood
I'm a revolution
I am a war
Already won
I'm a revolution
never doubt what you know in your heart God has called you to.
I'm glad you are finally coming to your senses. I dont care if u come back to camp or not. I mean i care but i would rather have u part of the youth leadership deal in some way than not at all. Listen to God no matter what though. I'm sure you're not done. I'm very very very glad that Wendy helped u realize this stuff. Remember though, u are every reason i know something about horses and love them so much. I thought of you several days ago when i went to a local barn to help out clean out yucky, YUCKY stalls and get them brushed... They're in bad shape might i add... anyway, i love you!
Hugs and hugs and hugs!
This makes me so happy. you have no idea. I could never see you not doing youth ministries in one way or another. it would seem weird. thanks so much katie for thinking of me as one of "your kids"...it means a lot to me.
Katie, the youth cannot afford to lose someone like you. Thank you so much for keeping on, and thank God.
Post a Comment