Thursday, November 09, 2006

WAY Surprised


What political party is best for you?

Democratic Party

You fit in with the Democrats.

Click Here to Take This Quiz
Brought to you by YouThink.com quizzes and personality tests.



So, up until like, today, I thought I was a staunch Republican. I knew that over the past year or so I've started to disagree with the GOP on the gay marriage issue... and then last night I started to waver on the abortion thing... (Aparently your legacy lives on in Ben, Angela--he's the one who got me wondering. The coathanger argument really threw me over the edge.) And I've always thought I was against big government, but to be frank, I think the "small-government" Republicans are doing a crappy job at running the country. I didn't so much care either way when I found out that the Democrats took the House, the Senate, and the Governorships. But the more I think about it, the more I think it might be a good thing.

I probably risk being crucified to say it, but I voted for Bush. He seemed more honest to me. (That's not the only reason I voted for him. At the time I agreed with a lot of what he said.) But I think he's done an awful job with the presidency, even if he is from Texas and can ride a horse, which happen to be characteristics that I believe improve anyone's reputation. I'm a huge Reagan fan, but Reagan he isn't.

All of you frenzied political gurus out there have a nice opportunity before you (Ang, I'm talking to you). I'm a clean slate. I'm opening up my mind to try to figure out which party, if either, I really think has it closer to right-on. I took several tests online this morning and all of 'em showed me to be more Democratic (with the exception of one that said Green) but I'm not sure I'm convinced, partially because I really didn't understand the language of some of them.

Convince me. Sell me. Either in comments, on your blogs, or by email (carlykatleson@gmail.com), fill me in on what you think. Talk to me about the issues. My mom at one point had some pretty valid theories against the legalization of gay marriage that I wish I could remember, although they weren't convincing enough to get me to agree that we should ban it. What does each party say on environmental issues? How do I rationalize telling one person that they cannot murder, but tell another that murdering their baby is okay? (I really feel like abortion is killing a baby, what can I say?)

Dang it, I come from a small-town, evangelical Christian, highly-conservative background. I'm a registered Republican. I never thought the word "liberal" would be in my vocabulary. But I believe that, until it hurts another human being, everyone should be given the right to make their own choices.

Politically, what does that make me?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I sent a way long email to your google. Don't be afraid. Just wanted to let you know in case it gets spammed. Hope I don't scare you.

Emily said...

politically it makes you a babykiller.

ok so no one else will get that little joke. and it will probably cause a blogger riot. but i thought it was funny. ;)

Kim said...

I'm so glad you are surrounding yourself with good, honest, kind, questioning, liberal friends :)
I like them already and haven't even met them!

All politics are evil, all polititians are crooks, you have to pick the lesser of two evils.

Although I have to admit I did get dragged into some local politics this year, I know the guy running for sheriff against the current sheriff. And found myself lobbying for him on a few occasions.
He won :)

Kim said...

Here's another tip from www.feminist.org
"Vote as if your life depended on it"

Another thought is if the republicans would stop trying to block emergency contraceptives than there would be fewer abortions. These are medications that are being used in Canada and Europe, so they have passed as stringent if not more tests than the FDA.

Katie said...

Kim, you are awesome. :) I knew this would ilicit a response from you. I never, ever, ever, thought I'd find common political ground with you. :) You would like my good, honest, kind, questioning, liberal friends.

Ang, I LOVED your e-mail and it put into words a lot of the things I've figured out for myself lately. I couldn't have said that last paragraph better myself, but I'll respond to you more by e-mail.

Em--hush.

Emily said...

you're just mad because i have jokes. hehe. ok no. i'm done. bab... ok just kidding. you know i'm just joshin ya. and luv your newly liberal self with all my heart. k? k.