Guilty Pleasure...
...I just bought three tracks from Hanson's new album on iTunes.
I hope you don't think less of me, but I was a tad obsessed with Isaac ("Ike" to hard core fans), Taylor ("Tay") and Zac in the late '90s. (My friend Miranda and I went through a phase of saying "otay" instead of "okay," simply to stick Taylor's name into every conversation possible. We loved him. Now he has three children, which wierds me out, but I digress.) If you do think less of me, I understand. Heck, I think I even think less of me for it.
An iTunes reviewer summed it up well:I'm not going to lie--I think I blame Hanson for my awkward adolescence. My absolute infatuation with Hanson throughout my junior high years left me with a distaste for all boys that were not musicians.
That might explain the roots of my thing for musicians. Ah, closure on that issue.
But their new album seems to be, well, good. Their Christmas album brings back memories, but their early stuff is just too teeny-bopper for me now. I can appreciate it for nostalgia's sake, it's just that my musical tastes are a tad more refined these days. But these guys--they can write songs. I gotta hand 'em that.
Sidebar: Zac helped Sandra McCracken (one of my new favorite Christian/Indie/Undefineable Genre artists) write "Goodbye George" which is one of my favorite of her songs. And I didn't know that until well after I loved the track.
Anyway, if you're into pop/rock and catchy tunes that make you tap your toes, you might check out Hanson's newish album Underneath. "Penny and Me" "Get Up and Go" and "Crazy Beautiful" are the tracks I bought. I think I like 'em.
Ooooh, as I look into them a little more, I'm kind of feeling like I am/was one of those fans who should own everything they ever recorded. As of 1999, I did--on casette tape. But now own only two of their albums on CD... and a few minutes later, half of Snowed In, Hanson's Christmas album...
Seven years hence, and they're even prettier than they were when I was in elementary school. Reference above photo.
And I'm done. Guilty pleasure revealed.



5 comments:
i remember when Alex Messersmith gave me the "mmmbop" cd for my birthday and i sold it to you for ten dollars. it was orange. and i still got to listen to it, because we lived in the same room.
such an entrepreneur - ok swindler - at such a young age...
Haha, yeah, I thought about blogging that. That makes me laugh out loud. I think it was the first non-country, non-christian CD I owned (I hesitate to call it rock). Still love it though. Perhaps that was a good investment after all, even if it was purchased from a swindler. It's called Middle of Nowhere, not MMMBop, by the way. :)
he reminds me of the guy from The Princess Bride, which made me laugh.
Hmm. Anyone think that Zac and Ben look a tad alike with facial features, hair color, height, and so on? Except, doesn't Zac play the drums? They have a commonality with Sandra, though. Also, they both write music.
mmm, I remember when their poster graced my bedroom wall. I still listen to their old stuff every now and then. Nostalgia, I'm sure.
Post a Comment